Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: Batteries and Holidays  (Read 390 times)

August 05, 2017, 02:52:24 AM

NehalX5

• View Profile
Batteries and Holidays
« on: August 05, 2017, 02:52:24 AM »
Sorry for posting at stupid o'clock.

We are going away for the rest of August this Sunday. That's 25 days of the car sitting unused. The XC90 is a car with little requirements to disconnect the battery (just pull the cables off the battery). Is it the same for the X5? How is it accessed? Will there be any issues with reconnecting it?

Thanks
X5 E70 3.0sd|M-Sport Package|Black Sapphire Metallic|Beige Nevada Sport Seats & Dark Bamboo Wood Trim|Xenon Lights|Media Package|Third Row Seating|Heated Seats Front and Rear|BMW Professional Hi-Fi system|Privacy Glass|20" Style 227|Self-levelling suspension|Rear-view camera

August 05, 2017, 06:11:01 AM
Reply #1

Alan Gunn

• View Profile
Re: Batteries and Holidays
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:11:01 AM »
The battery on the x5 E70 is in the boot under the floor and under the storage/tool tray.

August 05, 2017, 09:31:32 AM
Reply #2

lezmtaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
Is there jump start posts under the bonnet ? If  there are you, can use them for your battery charging points,
See you handbook for more info.
Lez

2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

August 05, 2017, 04:46:05 PM
Reply #3

X5Sport

• Lifer
  • Über Geek in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »
E70 battery is under the black cover just inside the tailgate, left side of that cover.  25 days should be OK, but that depends upon any other systems using it and its condition.  You could leave a conditioner connected - if you have main available - under the bonnet at the charging/jump points.
:type:

August 05, 2017, 11:13:38 PM
Reply #4

NehalX5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
I have read that the battery failing resets lots of memory functions in the car. I don't have access to mains chargers to attach a battery conditioner. I think it may be ok to just leave it for the time being seeing that the x5 has a battery conserving mode when the car is off (unlit start/stop button). However, when we bought it the car showed the 'high battery drain' message a few times but then went away, and haven't seen it since. Should it be ok to just leave then?
X5 E70 3.0sd|M-Sport Package|Black Sapphire Metallic|Beige Nevada Sport Seats & Dark Bamboo Wood Trim|Xenon Lights|Media Package|Third Row Seating|Heated Seats Front and Rear|BMW Professional Hi-Fi system|Privacy Glass|20" Style 227|Self-levelling suspension|Rear-view camera

August 06, 2017, 07:13:41 AM
Reply #5

Horizon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:13:41 AM »
The battery failing does reset a few things, but only the same as disconnecting the battery. Also a flat battery will then need totally removing carrying back to somewhere to recharge it and then back to the car to reinstall it. Just disconnecting the negative terminal is a lot easier..
Also the other alternative would be to jump start the car , which is to be avoided all all costs, as this can fry modules 😬😬😬😬
When I disconnected the battery on our E93 vert and reconnected it the roof refused to open , the windows wouldn't drop a little to allow the doors to open. I was getting worried.
After 5 mins googling I found you had to drop the window all the way down and keep your finger on the button, this then told the window motor whre abouts it was in the cycle. Same with the roof, pressed closed for 5 seconds and then it knew it was in the closed position.
On the E53 and the E83 when I've had the battery off all I've had to do is recalibrate the steering angle sensor by turning lock to lock, to extinguish the 4x4 light and reset the clock.
I would disconnect the negative terminal if it was me, but remember you will have no alarm function, and make sure you can get back in the boot to reconnect everything when you get back, as external access needs battery power.
Another alternative maybe a solar powered trickle charger, but I believe these are ineffective if left in the car and need to be external to work. Someone on here maybe able to advise
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport fully loaded.in Black
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT in White. ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silver