Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tyres / Spare wheel  (Read 421 times)

August 15, 2017, 12:08:14 PM

Barroni

• View Profile
Tyres / Spare wheel
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:14 PM »
Hello (novice question here  :) )

As a new X5 owner (2011 X40D) I checked the tyres on the car and they are good. 
I wanted to check what was needed in case of a puncture. 
My second car is a Zafira and with that there is a electric pump in the boot and bottle of gunk to
use in case of puncture. (no spare wheel)

Looing into the X5 there is no spare wheel and no bottles of gunk.  I am not sure what should have been provided with the car initially.  There is a first aid kit but that wont help much lol.
Should there be a bottle of gunk? 

Thanks

August 15, 2017, 01:25:03 PM
Reply #1

mark hamster 28

• View Profile
Re: Tyres / Spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »
my guess is that your car has run flats on that will let you still drive for a bit at obviously slower speeds but then the tyre is normally had it and has to be replaced but have heard of people getting it repaired if caught quick. Also if it is a new tyre, the other tyre on the other axle might have to replaced also if the tread depth is much different as these cars will break your running gear if there not pretty much the same depth.!
NEW MODEL X1 Xline 2.0 d. 2015-

PREV-
::) M Sport 3.0 d  (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

August 15, 2017, 04:46:45 PM
Reply #2

Barroni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Thank you.  I dont recognise the brand of tyre on the car, ill check out and see if I can identify if they are run flats.  The sales lad had no idea when I asked him in the garage. 

August 15, 2017, 06:09:40 PM
Reply #3

X5Sport

• Lifer
  • Über Geek in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
While you are at it, check all 4 tyres are the same brand and have similar tread depth.  BMWs, and especially the AWD versions, seem to be sensitive to tyre type and tread difference between the front and rear axles.  They need to be close to each other - i.e. Not new on one and worn on the other.

It can on some occasions result in the transmission breaking expensively!

You can get a kit to inflate the tyres if non-RFT are fitted - which is often done to soften the ride.  :)

Officially approved tyres for BMW (RFT and non-RFT) have an '*' on the sidewall.
:type:

August 17, 2017, 04:50:43 PM
Reply #4

kenniff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
Thank you.  I dont recognise the brand of tyre on the car, ill check out and see if I can identify if they are run flats.  The sales lad had no idea when I asked him in the garage.
Have a look at this - which might help you identify.
https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/bens-blog/how-to-tell-if-you-have-run-flat-tires
Current: F15 M50d Msport in Carbon Black
Previous: F15 30d Msport in Space Grey, E70 35d Msport, BMW 530i, Porsche Boxster, BMW 330Ci Sport and before that Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vauxhall Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

August 24, 2017, 12:59:57 PM
Reply #5

Barroni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Thanks all for the replies and link.  I couldn't see any markings.  The Tyres are budget tyres 'Acclera iota'

Had them checked at local garage and they are not run flats.  They said they were new and wouldn't  recommend changing them.  Ill get an inflation kit for the time being.  Thanks all.   :)

August 24, 2017, 03:59:13 PM
Reply #6

Graeme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »
These tyres are at the budget end of the market. They may be too soft for the suspension which is set up for use with runflats. Check the weight bearing figures - for example my car has 255x50x19 107V on the front and 2285x45x19 111v on the rears. The 107 and 111 are critical figures.

Can I suggest being wary of them if you find that, with them properly inflated (see panel on driver's door post), on a newly surfaced straight road, the car seems to float and wander at 50-70mph.  If that is the case braking distance and cornering capability is likely to be impaired.  Friends with other 4wd cars have reported similar problems and the only solution is to swap them for a recommended fitment.

Graeme