Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: Replace sports suspension  (Read 332 times)

August 21, 2017, 10:27:55 PM

Steve-o

• View Profile
Replace sports suspension
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »
Hi

Need some technical help if anyone can offer advice.  My 2007 SE has a sports suspension pack and 20" alloys and I'm finding it too hard on my old bones. 

Can this be replaced with standard suspension/softened at all and what would need to be replaced?  I'm focused on the suspension set-up because I already know the anti-roll bars are different but I'm not wanting to change those....unless you tell me otherwise?

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks :)

August 22, 2017, 07:45:34 AM
Reply #1

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
Re: Replace sports suspension
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:45:34 AM »
Welcome Steve

Couple of options, allbeit none unfortunately shall be cheap

First and foremost look at your wheels, 20" wheels have run flat tyres, predominately this will be the cause and scurge of BMW's, would be a dramatic change, changing over to non runflat tyres allbeit your tyre selection is limited and should be changed for star rated tyres to match front to back rolling circumference.
Likewise, downsizes wheel size if often beneficial, though looks over function we can all agree the 20" wheelsets look the best, however a 18" wheel is doable and softens things, whilst the 19" may be the best compromise.

Otherwise you'd be looking at the struts, different between the Se and M sport though the biggest difference will be in changing but expensive, there is auxillary shock absorbers (bump stops) fitted between the he strut and top mount, when these wear they can cause detriment as the dampener has more work to do!

Springs will make a difference though marginal, however if you check your spec, and look for bad road package being fitted, this is effectively thicker spring pads though serve to further dampen the ride as opposed to hamper things.

Your correct in saying the Arbs are different, the m sport has thicker bars though no real need to change

The simplest quick fix would be a wheel change with cost offset selling old and buying new! Otherwise remove the Rfts,
Strut changes would require major works and realignment

I'm missing the first and most obvious check!
Check your tyre pressures, garages are notorious for overinflating, correct value for your tyres will be on the door pillar, I run 33psi on front and 35psi at rear!

Good luck with repairs

August 22, 2017, 09:22:29 AM
Reply #2

lezmtaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »
Not sure if they will fit,but my 4.4 E53 had 20" wheels which I found too hard, fitted 19", still too hard.
Now I am in my mid  70's so like my soft ride !!.Also not to fussed about the look of the wheel as tyre and wheel diameter are the same.
The ride is like chalk and cheese, so much more comfortable, there are plenty of 17" wheels around at stupid prices , I paid £130 for a set of 4 already fitted with 6mm tread Michelin Diamaris.
So it does not cost a fortune, and you have a set of winter wheels and tyres if you are not happy with the look.

Lez

2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

August 23, 2017, 07:41:08 AM
Reply #3

Steve-o

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »
Thanks guys.  The fun flats are off but the tyres from the garage are not star marked and there will be a small difference in rolling circumference based on the aspect ratio on the side wall.

As to the struts would I need to change the rear air bellows do you know; there seems to be a different bellow for SE and for Sports or have I got that wrong?

Thanks again guys.  That was a warm welcome and a full reply.  Much appreciated 

August 23, 2017, 02:23:42 PM
Reply #4

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »
There is differences between Sports & SE air springs. (Or at least there is different part numbers)

However, you may have other problems with  a mix and match combination..... of Se airsprings and M sport dampeners.

https://aerosus.co.uk/bmw/filter/fitting_models/x5/p_construction_year/2007.html

Though arnott contradict

https://www.arnotteurope.com/catalog/product/view/id/426/s/a-2642-arnott-rear-air-spring-bmw-x-5-e70-x-6-e71-left-or-right/category/2/