Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: Decisions decisions  (Read 1404 times)

October 07, 2017, 05:13:40 PM

Davidoff

• View Profile
Decisions decisions
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
Guys, I 'm unsure whether I want to go for an SE or M Sport version? Am I correct in thinking the SE has more kit and will be a bit cheaper to purchase?
Thanks
D

October 07, 2017, 10:01:11 PM
Reply #1

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
Re: Decisions decisions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »
Not entirely correct
Cars are specced individually,
The M sport offers, anthracite roof, Sports seating different body coloured bumpers / sills with flared arches & slightly different sports suspension, though sports suspension delete was a no cost option also.
Whilst in no way a true M car, they wear similar (but different) styling!

Just as individual is personal taste,
The Se has a beige roof, SE seating, SE bumpers & side steps with black non flared arches.
The Se is ordinarily specced with smaller wheel packages with a more compliant ride

The SE, is normally cheaper to purchase!

The option list & engine choice is shared between models so the toy count varies and can be confusing.....
Good luck with your search!

October 08, 2017, 10:44:48 PM
Reply #2

Barroni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:44:48 PM »
For me my priority was to get the 40D engine. I liked the extra performance and better emissions which brought lower tax as well.  I went for the SE as this is our main family car and I found the suspension more forgiving with 3 littleluns in the back.

The biggest difference I noticed was the M sport has color coded arches while the SE has  grey chunky plastic.  In a dark color car this is not striking (I actually have Dark grey and its almost appears color coded)
Interesting that lots of new SUV's are now following this style of chunky plastic trims.

The other thing to pay attention to is the extra's.  Many are very expensive to retro fit compared to their original price.  Its definitely worth getting the spec you want from the outset.  The only mod I have done to mine was to go limo black window tint in all the backs which I think was £170. 

October 09, 2017, 07:55:05 AM
Reply #3

Marrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:55:05 AM »
I have an m sport but wish I had bought an se the colour coded arches just end up getting wrecked with stone chips so car looks tatty ! Get the se problem goes away as it’s plastic but the rest of the car will still end up covered in stone chips and go rusty though lol

I don’t think 4.0d is any better emission wise than 3.0d ? Certainly better on performance!

October 09, 2017, 09:06:23 AM
Reply #4

Barroni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
I should have qualified my point there, I was looking at 35D or the 40D.  I pushed for the 40D as it was 302BHP compared to 286 and the 40D engines had the new 8 speed and lower tax emissions. 

I like the M Sport for its subtle differences like the oval exhausts compared to round on the SE. The Roof bars on the sport also look a little sleeker. I preferred the suspension in the SE - Its softer. 
I went for an SE with 19 wheels and made sure it has the kit I wanted (sat nav, bluetooth audio, pano roof etc)

I think youll be happy which ever model you decide :o

October 09, 2017, 11:23:30 AM
Reply #5

kenniff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Another thing to mention about the styling is that if you like and want the running boards you can't have them on an Msport, and the roof rails are different on both. I like the look of the running boards but lots of people say that all they do is get your trousers dirty as the height of the vehicle is not so much that you actually need them to step on. The result is you step over them and brush your trousers against the sides...

Despite liking the running boards I have had 3 Msports because overall I like the look better. I didn't find the ride harsh in any of them.

As for stone chips, never been an issue for me, guess it depends on where you drive.
Current: F15 M50d Msport in Carbon Black
Previous: F15 30d Msport in Space Grey, E70 35d Msport, BMW 530i, Porsche Boxster, BMW 330Ci Sport and before that Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vauxhall Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

October 09, 2017, 01:57:14 PM
Reply #6

Davidoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. I guess the best thing to do is have a look at both models to see which I prefer. The running boards appeal to me because my wife has severe back problems and might struggle getting in and out, so a little help would be good for her. I have contemplated getting a little step for her and keeping it in the boot, don't know what her thoughts on this would be though!
 As for spec, I'm looking for:-

Oyster leather (heated front sports seats)
Satnav
Bluetooth
Cruise control
Upgraded media pack
8 speed box
(If I think of anything else I'll add later)

So I'm not really asking for much. Just a nice comfortable reliable car that isn't to bad on fuel or tax.

I still have to sell my current car first before I can buy another. I have it on various sites so hopefully soon.
 I think I'm going down the AUC route as I've seen a couple on there so far at good prices.

Again, thanks.
D

October 09, 2017, 06:23:50 PM
Reply #7

Marrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
Another thing to mention about the styling is that if you like and want the running boards you can't have them on an Msport, and the roof rails are different on both. I like the look of the running boards but lots of people say that all they do is get your trousers dirty as the height of the vehicle is not so much that you actually need them to step on. The result is you step over them and brush your trousers against the sides...

Despite liking the running boards I have had 3 Msports because overall I like the look better. I didn't find the ride harsh in any of them.

As for stone chips, never been an issue for me, guess it depends on where you drive.

Stone chips are a common issue and bmw fitted protection film to later Lci m sport models to try and stop it ! They have repainted mist of my car under warranty and applied protection film after much arguing

October 09, 2017, 06:47:33 PM
Reply #8

X5Sport

• Lifer
  • Über Geek in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
The running boards appeal to me because my wife has severe back problems and might struggle getting in and out, so a little help would be good for her. I have contemplated getting a little step for her and keeping it in the boot, don't know what her thoughts on this would be though!

In that case you might want to search for one fitted with Comfort Seats.  They are much easier on those with bad backs due to the extra adjustment options.  I am also a sufferer and am very glad I specced them.
:type:

October 09, 2017, 10:35:09 PM
Reply #9

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 10:35:09 PM »
Here’s one for your consideration....
http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15864.0.html

October 10, 2017, 07:54:26 AM
Reply #10

graemeX5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »
Hi

The other thing with an SE is they have running boards where as the M Sport doesn't.

Generally the SE has a better spec than an M Sport but as most things on a BMW are an option you have to check, and if it doesn't have that option be careful if you can retrofit as it's a lot more costly on the E70.

The SE generally has 19" but some are fitted with 20" wheels and runflats tyres from new, but M Sports again can have 19" wheels but most have the 20" wheels. The Ml Sport suspension. Is generally harder than on an SE unless it has been specked with it.

Earlier have a Ccc idrive system which is okay where as later cars have a much improved idrive system.

The purchase price of an SE Is usually lower, but some members on here had the plastic arches and bumpers colour coded and also something called the aero kit fitted to their pre facelift cars which makes it look similar to the MSport style.

If you like more performance then poss go for the more powerful cars in the earlier 35d or 30sd (same as 35d) or later 40d is good with 286 or 306 ps but the later cars have 8 speed gearbox compared to earlier cars with the six speed box. Some go for the 3.0d as cheaper to buy and lower emissions it just depends on your needs. 

Be careful if looking at earlier 3.0d cars as some were the higher tax bracket and this can be checked on www.gov.uk website

There are a lot of cars out there and it's worth taking your time to find a well maintained secondhand car, as a bad car can be costly to fix. If buying from BMW their prices are generally higher but have full BMW s/h and they have a better  approved used car warranty. If from a non franchised dealer the price should be lower and they will offer a warranty, but not as good as the BMW one. Then there is private or auction and it can be good but you have to do your checks but good cars can be found.

Good luck and I would suggest  it's best to go and drive both the SE and the M Sport version then you should know which one suits you best.

Graeme
Current: E70 X5 in Blue, Fiat Abarths 595 Convertible & 500 Convertible :drive:

Previous: E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport Convertible, Audi TT Mk1 V6 Roadster, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

October 10, 2017, 09:35:18 AM
Reply #11

lezmtaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »
I to went for comfort seats, infinite adjustability : up/down, back /forward,/rake and tilt of seat squab, seat back rake and adjustable in the small of the back, headrest up /down and tilt.
No doubt I have forgotten some more that it will do.
I have rods in my back and found I was able to adjust the seat exactly to my requirements, can do 200 mile trips and still feel fresh as a daisy at the end.
The best ''extra'' there is.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

October 12, 2017, 08:57:58 AM
Reply #12

Davidoff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
I went for a test drive yesterday in a 59 plate Msport 30d, and I sorry to report that I did not really enjoy it. I thought the car felt cheap inside (and I drive a Vauxhall at the moment!). The centre console was not very nice and the steering overly heavy. The suspension was to stiff, and when I had the misfortune to hit a pothole, I thought the car was about to shatter in peices. Has made me rethink about selling my existing car. I had the same problem when I had a test drive of an F31 30d. I've had BMW's in the past, E30, E36 and E90, all 6 cylinder, and they felt solid and robust, but I didn't feel this way about the X5 or F31.

October 12, 2017, 04:10:36 PM
Reply #13

Barroni

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Give the SE a go.  I found it much softer and more suited to Urban family life.
Other thing to consider is the wheels, if you drive on 20inch with Run flats the ride I imagine will be harder. 
Try and SE with 19's or lower and non run flats.  Better yet try in a 40D for the extra punch!!

October 12, 2017, 10:23:00 PM
Reply #14

CondorX5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
Each to their own I guess. I have an MSport 40d and its definitely not "cheap inside" -thats reserved for Range Rovers, Chavoques and the like! Lol. 
Plus its rubbish, the myth that Msport models are poorly specced and SEs are so highly specced- as with all BMWs you get the options you spec and pay for when you order the vehicle new, or at least the first owner does!  My 40d MSport is one of the highest specced E70s I have seen in SE or MSport guise and I hunted for the one I wanted. 

The ride quality in X5s is heavily influenced by the choice of wheel /tyre combinations - stiffer sports suspension in MSport models might make for a harsher ride but both my partner and I had pre-existing back problems and do not find the MSport suspension a problem.  Smaller wheels definitely give a softer more giving ride, though.

Comfort seats make all the difference to anyone with back problems, though. And yes, my supposedly "poorly specced" MSport has those - none Of the SEs I looked at had them though - expensive options.  Go figure! 
PS nothing wrong with the centre console either........pretty much similar to most BMWs of that generation. Nowt wrong with it at all!  As I said, each to their own! 
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.