Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2011 40d -First problem  (Read 1267 times)

November 02, 2017, 06:23:53 PM

marsie

2011 40d -First problem
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
Hi, after a brief honeymoon period with my new x5 (bought on saturday ::)) i have my first problem.

All seems well when it get a bit of heat in it but doesnt seem to like cold starts

Has anyone had a similar problem that can shed any light on it?
Thanks in advance

November 02, 2017, 08:15:50 PM
Reply #1

X5Sport

• Lifer
  • Über Geek in Chief
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 40d starting issue-First problem
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:15:50 PM »
Glowplugs would be first thought but I didn’t think it was really cold enough for that issue yet.
:type: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

November 02, 2017, 09:03:53 PM
Reply #2

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:03:53 PM »
Possibly gummed up inlet manifold

December 01, 2017, 11:30:36 PM
Reply #3

Rainman999

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
Hi,  my 2010 40d started doing this from cold. It stated up right away then got lumpy until the car revs built up. So waiting to pull off the drive=lumpy then 4/5 minutes down the road all ok. Went to Beverley motor works, they could see a possible issue with the fuel injectors on further investigation it turned out to be the inlet manifold all gummed up with carbon. They carried out a "extensive decoke" on Inlet manifold with walnut blasting.
Fantastic now starts and runs a treat...i have noticed the engine is breathing much better now and the "economy guage" is much more lively now. Well worth the work and i had the swirl flaps removed at the same time.

December 02, 2017, 08:38:08 AM
Reply #4

Alan Gunn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »
Did the op get it sorted out ??.
Sean hit the nail on the head by the sound of it.

December 16, 2017, 06:48:37 PM
Reply #5

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
Did the op get it sorted out ??.
Sean hit the nail on the head by the sound of it.

Had the same on my F07, pulled manifold & Egr, they were in a terrible state, no fault codes with this!

December 18, 2017, 07:49:48 AM
Reply #6

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 07:49:48 AM »
There is Egr kits available, however your pushing the problem further down the line, you’ll initially get smoking issues, then turbo failure followed by Dpf failure so any fix will be short term gain, beside the annual test should inspect for modification to the emmission system including Egr, unfortunately....
Also To remove the EGr requires software modification by way of engine remap

I’ve lost the pictures of my efforts on previous car, however all was relatively straight forward and carried out in an afternoon on the drive, whilst awkward and daunting, I found both plugged though easily cleaned, the swirl flaps & actuator was stuck closed, the pipework from Egr to inlet manifold was heavily gummed, I used a combination of petrol, brake cleaner and a pressure washer to clean out the residue,

The issue seems to be exasperated by crankcase ventilation having oil mist which picks up the soot and forms a sticky gum, this inturn is baked into a hard carbon and deposits in the pipes.

My F07, (5 series GT) would have the same traits, start and run fine one day then powerless the next almost as if it’s choking itself (starved of air) the day came when I got to the bottom of road and stalled, powerless to move,
I took the drastic action and pulled things apart.

The same issue was common on the 4.0d a while back, BMW will replace the manifold and offer no attempt to clean.

December 19, 2017, 06:41:58 AM
Reply #7

snrbrtsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 06:41:58 AM »
I would have a fault code scan carried out before replacing things
As like I have done you’d be assuming and possibly replacing unnecessary parts
With the greatest of respect, please understand my remote diagnostics is possibly holistic.
Both options are possible, scanning the fault codes is the sure way of identifying, however, a gummed up manifold doesn’t always present a code, mine was swirl flap actuator plausible where as glow plugs should have a destinct code

Good luck & success with repairs