Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking at 35d and 40d but are they worth extra money  (Read 1145 times)

May 16, 2018, 03:11:13 PM
Reply #15

pvr

• Global Moderator
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at 35d and 40d but are they worth extra money
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
I won't list the M consumption  :-[
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

May 16, 2018, 03:12:20 PM
Reply #16

Mr black

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 03:12:20 PM »
Hi Great replies thanks I must admit I love the 40d just getting used to it 🙂👍

May 22, 2018, 12:01:00 PM
Reply #17

Chrispy

• 2012 E70 3.0 XDrive M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
Hello,

Mine's not an 4.0d but an early E70 3.0d so I hope these comments help.

I've done 144,000 miles. The best I ever got was 36.1 on a trip from the north east to Surrey.  Over time the consumption has fallen from 30 to 28, but my pattern of driving has changed since I retired to fewer longish trips and more short ones.  Current consumption since the last service 6000 miles ago is 27.9, including 3 long trips each of 600 miles and about 400miles towing a caravan. The best I've had towing is 25.4 in August from here to Switzerland via the Rhine Valley - where caravans have to stick with lorries at 56mph on the miles and miles of no overtaking parts of the autobahn.

I echo the comment above about driving speed.  Sitting at about 65mph allows the consumption needle to swing left, but driving at 70 pushes it past zero to the right more often than not - and consumption drops alarmingly!!!

Graeme

This......

Sit at 65 and it's actually not bad - go over 70 and it changes dramatically.  Wind resistance must pick up somewhat at over 70 and it's hardly the most slippery of shapes.  Hate driving mine in headwinds - it feels quite gutless.
Black 2012 E70 3.0 XDrive M Sport on diddy 19's

May 23, 2018, 07:22:15 PM
Reply #18

Huxsta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
I dont care what our 4.0d does to the gallon. If i did then i wouldnt have bought it in the first place. I cant believe anybody would purposely buy this model and worry about mpg. Sell it and buy a little run around. My father in laws new to him 2016 hyundai i20x does 45 mpg....if that helps.

May 24, 2018, 07:55:55 AM
Reply #19

Lyons

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
I’m delighted that you don’t care what your 40d does, well done.

For most normal folk, consumption is something they are mindful of when buying a new car. Just because you buy an X5, doesn’t mean you have to disregard how efficient it’s going to be. I do about 15k a year so was interested to know what sort of mpg to expect as a swing from low 20’s to high 30’s would have a big impact on cost.

Thanks for your helpful contribution though.

May 24, 2018, 09:34:31 AM
Reply #20

lezmtaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »
I must admit that when I bought my 4.4 litre E53 the last thing on my mind was fuel consumption, but I knew that I could alleviate to a certain extent the pain.
So I lpg'd the car well pleased, and I donot like diesel , dirty horrible stuff !!

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

May 24, 2018, 09:53:48 AM
Reply #21

Chrispy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »
Man lives in UK where fuel is outlandishly expensive partly and primarily due to taxation

Man has decided on X5 for various reasons no doubt

Man wants to buy diesel, the BMW variant of which are some of the most efficient you can get in terms of MPG to BHP (IMO, after owning Ford, PSA, Honda and VAG diesels over the years), and clearly cares somewhat about MPG otherwise he'd buy the V8 for example, or an Audi Q7, or a RR Sport...

Man also doesn't want it to be too sluggish otherwise the 3.0d would be an option (which, again IMO, does lack a bit of urgency sometimes and needs to be pushed a bit to make it go), thus making the 4.0d a prime candidate.

Man asks sensible question about running costs of said vehicle on public forum where other owners undoubtedly have experience of this.

Man is told to buy something like a Hyundai as "running cost concerns are for the weak".

Coming from a very efficient LCI E91 320d I too was curious about the MPG of these thing as the 7 seater otherwise suited my family needs perfectly but I didn't want it to fleece me of every penny I have, straight into the governments coffers.  As such the 3.0d LCI seemed the best option, and I also considered things like the Disco 3/4, Q7 etc but those things were coming up much worse, and with poorer driving dynamics which I also value. 

May 24, 2018, 01:22:53 PM
Reply #22

Lyons

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
A 30d is my preference to be honest, it will be quick enough for what I need.

Have you a thread up on yours Chrispy? Pleased with it?

May 24, 2018, 01:48:05 PM
Reply #23

Chrispy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »
A 30d is my preference to be honest, it will be quick enough for what I need.

Have you a thread up on yours Chrispy? Pleased with it?

I've not created a thread specific to mine but happy to comment if you want an opinion.  :)

Note this is the 245 bhp LCI MSport with the 8 speed box, 7 seat option on 19" staggered wheels....

MPG wise, I average about 32 using the brimming method (the OBC reckons late 20's).  Winter/ cold weather makes it drop off quite dramatically, as does windy weather due to the brick like shape of the thing needing much more application of the right foot (my commute involves exposed motorways).

In terms of power, it's "OK" I guess.  The straight 6 is a great sounding engine for a diesel, although can be clattery at certain RPM's and on full chat.  In my opinion BMW made it too linear in its power delivery meaning it needs higher revs before it gets going.  Good old fashioned diesel style "dollop of torque" at lower RPM's seem to be a thing of the past and I sorely miss that approach, especially in something that weighs 2.5 tonnes like this thing does, and I don't want to constantly have to rev it to death to make it move.  So I do find that D/S / Sport mode is required more often than I'd like when wanting to make progress, or some strategic use of the flappies on the steering wheel when overtaking is on the cards. 

And the result of this greater need for throttle etc is reduced MPG I believe such as when cruising.  Keeping the little swingy meter above 30 on the motorway does require sub 70 mph speeds, and in windy weather even lower than that.  I am a firm believer that more power would result in greater real world MPG (to a point) and a different mapping approach by manufacturers where lower down torque is of greater emphasis would help also.

Non RFT's are also on the agenda too which will not only result in much improved ride quality but reduced unsprung weight which again helps both performance and MPG, even if the results are negligible, every little helps. :)

June 08, 2018, 05:48:33 PM
Reply #24

NehalX5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
Best we've seen from the 35d is about 29-30mpg. Bear in mind it's the 6-speed gearbox as well. I believe we have a map up to 315hp as well.

Whilst there are people on here privileged to not have to worry about fuel consumption, they aren't the worst at this. We average 24mpg with mainly city and some motorway driving. I look at it this way - the car is a large 2.2 tonne SUV, with 20" staggered wheels with extremely large tyres, is aesthetically pleasing, has 315hp, has all the options that one could need to carry a family, air suspension, and yet still does 6.5 seconds to 60mph, to go to 150mph, and is reasonably reliable. Had much less failures on this than our old 1st gen XC90.

Very few cars on the road can match that whilst still giving 24mpg average, and 33mpg on the motorway. Reason why these cars get much lower MPG is because of the owners of the 35d/40d using the extra power that they wanted by getting the 35d/40d. Using these cars hard significantly impacts the MPG. You can get a 320d efficient dynamics, but that also brings 16"(15"?) wheels, a cloth interior, bog standard iDrive, and thats about as much as you can get. It may get 70mpg on the motorway, but that is about all you will get out of them. I find the X5 the best balance of all cars. Would love an M5 E60, but not enough seats. M3 E92 would handle like a dream, but wouldn't have rear heated seats! It's all about striking a balance.

Coming from the XC90's slow single turbo engine, the 35d/40d engine is much better for this car in my opinion. 235hp isn't too much for what is a 2.2tonne car. I've heard stories of the single turbo engines straining the turbo because of the weight, one of the reasons why we went for the 35d in the first place.
X5 E70 3.0sd|M-Sport Package|Black Sapphire Metallic|Beige Nevada Sport Seats & Dark Bamboo Wood Trim|Xenon Lights|Media Package|Third Row Seating|Heated Seats Front and Rear|BMW Professional Hi-Fi system|Privacy Glass|20" Style 227|Self-levelling suspension|Rear-view camera