Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: TOTAL SHUTDOWN !!  (Read 428 times)

June 10, 2018, 12:55:12 PM

stoihlg

• View Profile
TOTAL SHUTDOWN !!
« on: June 10, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
Has anyone else had total and complete loss of power/shutdown.?
I was accelerating up a fairly steep hill and suddenly the engine was dead in a split second. managed to pull to near side of road and quickly put hazards on. Pressed starter button and car was simply cranking somewhat endlessly! Waited a couple of minutes, and tried the start button and with a little reluctance the car started again and normal service APPEARED to have been restored.
Obviously I'm now worried that this incident may reoccur at any time.
Anyone got any thoughts/advice ?
2007 E70 3.0D

June 10, 2018, 01:30:40 PM
Reply #1

X5Sport

• Lifer
  • Über Geek in Chief
    • View Profile
Re: TOTAL SHUTDOWN !!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »
Check your battery connections would be the first thought, in case something is loose.

After that it could be fuel system, ignition switch, engine electrics etc.  Getting a fault log code read would help you narrow it down.
:type: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

June 10, 2018, 06:31:16 PM
Reply #2

marti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 06:31:16 PM »
First thing to do is disconnect the battery for 20 minutes...Neg lead only, if that doesn't resolve it ...I would be looking at camshaft sensor....diags would be a good idea....

June 16, 2018, 01:30:04 AM
Reply #3

Phil68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 01:30:04 AM »
This happened to me a few days ago also, on acceleration the car just stopped, I rolled to a stop and the car engaged Park. It would not start at all. I removed the key waited a few mins and it started right up again. I drove a mile or so and it happened again, and again until I eventually got home. I plugged my Carly adaptor in and it gave me a code for Injector #6, the car idle's fine, just when you apply some acceleration it grinds to a halt. I will have to change the injector to see if that solve's the problem.
2007 E70 X5 3.0d M57N2.......