Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Author Topic: Egr delete  (Read 340 times)

July 07, 2018, 08:09:04 PM

Lee330ci

• View Profile
Egr delete
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
Hi has anyone done an egr delete on the 3.0d
Is it worth it are there many gains
And where to buy from
Thanks

July 07, 2018, 08:42:31 PM
Reply #1

Horizon

• View Profile
Re: Egr delete
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
Hi has anyone done an egr delete on the 3.0d
Is it worth it are there many gains
And where to buy from
Thanks

I have removed the EGR valve and cleaned it out with Carb cleaner then refined it, once refitted I have left the vacuum hose off ( plugging the rubber hose with a Golf tee to stop the vacuum being lost) this prevents it from opening the EGR valve.
You can buy stainless steel through pipes to replace the EGR valve from eBay, but as the 3.0 d engine is no racing engine I guess the original orifice must be good enough. So probably a waste of money.
Note. When removing the 4 cap head Alan screws that secure the EGR valve place a rag underneath, as you will drop the screws unless you have a magnetic Allan key
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
Honda CRV 2.2 d EX SUV 2011 in Silver. ( Wife's )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

July 08, 2018, 01:58:09 PM
Reply #2

X5-D-Sport Salisbury

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 01:58:09 PM »
I have done the EGR delete to both my X5's.
It does allow the engine to breath easier - if combined with a K&N lifetime air filter, & makes a small difference in power & economy, but does add a bit more torque at low revs.
Typically, the EGR valve releases already burned exhaust gasses into the induction/inlet manifold.

A few things happen here:
The whole concept of a turbo INTER-COOLER is to chill the incoming air to the engine.....
The EGR valve pipes super-heated burned exhaust into the engine, which make no bloody sense at all re having an inter-cooler.
The EGR pipes burned exhaust into the intake, thus lowering the combustibility of the induction air - also make no bloody sense.

The concept of the EGR is to reduce emissions a fraction so the exhaust has a tinsy bit less % of nasties, buy fails to compensate for the loss of power it creates, thus the Go-Go pedal being used harder to compensate.

GET RID of the EGR valve, get a straight thru unit, blank off the exhaust end of the EGR feed, plug the vacuum pipe controlling the EGR valve.... and you're ready to go.

As a point of interest, my mate owns an MOT station, & we tested my latest X5 with & without the EGR valve fitted... There was no notable difference in emissions at all.

The two single most best things to do for emissions reduction before an MOT, is an oil & filter change & a cleaned/new air filter, + a dose of injector cleaner the week before.

I have a 190k car, with a clean emission status.

July 09, 2018, 09:06:45 PM
Reply #3

henrym3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
Now I know why I took a fit of coughing as I passed through Salisbury :))
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

July 10, 2018, 08:20:17 PM
Reply #4

X5-D-Sport Salisbury

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »
Nah, that will be the Nerve Agents going airbourne