Welcome to Xdrivers
Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Mind bring a coat !!!   and the midges are out in force jist now !!

Enjoy your holiday.... hehe
General X3 Forum (E83) / Re: E83 3.0d auto ###Sounds like a police siren###
« Last post by Horizon on Yesterday at 10:58:15 PM »
I've been on holiday for 10 days, picked up the car from the airport, no issues. Drive to work today and the car sounds like a siren is going off.

Basically, this police siren type noise happens in neutral or in drive, when the accelerator is pressed and then gets more high pitched as the revs increase. It does seem to stop at about 2000rpm??

I'm guessing turbo? Thought is could be the dreaded drivetrain but as it happens in neutral I figured not??

Hope someone will have an idea? Appreciate the police siren isn't best description!!
That does sound like the turbo to me, unusual on the 3.0d compared with the 2.0 D E83. Which are well known for eating turbos.
Mines a 3.0d , same engine as the E53 which isn't that common to have turbo failures.

Make a pitched roof for the satnav unit 😛
I've had some electric gremlins in the E93 tonight. The wife took it for MOT and as she pulled up the front markers were flashing, during the test it was ok
I had a look tonight, then the airbag light came on, did some diognostics, both front seats are throwing a fault, also the roll over module. Canbus errors too. Neither will clear with my Carly app. Possibly water ingress due to it being a vert.
I may run it in to the indie for further investigation tomorrow. We're off to Scotland for the weekend with the caravan Friday morning, so havnt got time to investigate.
Probably expensive knowing my luck.
I've charged the battery but still won't clear the faults. It's got the original battery on (2007 )
Sorry, totally hijacked that thread, well at least the thread was almost finished 😬😬😬😬
General X3 Forum (E83) / Re: E83 3.0d auto ###Sounds like a police siren###
« Last post by AW8 on Yesterday at 09:40:36 PM »
Hopefully they haven't been ragging it around or swapping parts whilst you were on hol's.

Sorry to hear of this.....hope you get it sorted for reasonable cost.
General X5 Forum (E70) / SSD HDD upgrade
« Last post by BSJ_Denmark on Yesterday at 09:29:26 PM »
Hi

I'm just in the middle of upgrading the CIC HDD drive to a SSD drive - will expect faster start time for navigation system and multimedia.

I had a wee look for water tracks,.. all pipes are clear,...  the only water I could see was a tiny amount on top of the satnav unit,..about quarter of a teaspoon ,...  down below in the quarter panel well, there was a tiny bit of moisture, just enough to make the small amount of dust and particles damp, no puddles or anything.
Looks like its dripped down from somewhere,..mind its been hellish rain up here last few days.
I'll keep my eye on it next few days.......still find it strange how the indicators were playing up at the same time !!!
No ingress in the battery box either,...and the battery vent is on and routed though its proper channel X5sport.....
Think I will try one of those silica gel packs though...
cheers,

Jonny
Problems / Re: nozzle electrics
« Last post by henrym3 on Yesterday at 07:33:56 PM »
Sorry Smee, the air vents are back on now and I don't want to guess at how the nozzles might come off the air vents. The milage is 132k, paintwork is excellent, runs great BUT am just about to replace the rear brake lines.
X5-D-Sport, I don't know for definate but Horizon's take on how they work seems the most likely, I never noticed that they were in sync with the heated rear window. I'll have to wait and hope next winter is horrible so I can do some more investigation ::) 
General X3 Forum (E83) / E83 3.0d auto ###Sounds like a police siren###
« Last post by Dans6490 on Yesterday at 06:25:47 PM »
I've been on holiday for 10 days, picked up the car from the airport, no issues. Drive to work today and the car sounds like a siren is going off.

Basically, this police siren type noise happens in neutral or in drive, when the accelerator is pressed and then gets more high pitched as the revs increase. It does seem to stop at about 2000rpm??

I'm guessing turbo? Thought is could be the dreaded drivetrain but as it happens in neutral I figured not??

Hope someone will have an idea? Appreciate the police siren isn't best description!!
Check for blocked roof drains, missing drain bungs, leaking light units, leaking windows, bad tailgate seals.

Your battery should also have a vent pipe connected to it that gets rid of charging fumes (hydrogen gas!) and the water vapour that is generated sometimes.  It is surprising how many E53s are missing the battery vent hose.  It is about 1/4" diameter clear plastic and normally connected to one end of the battery top.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10