Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any Dash Cam Recommendations?

General car related chat
Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Any Dash Cam Recommendations?

Post by Don Coffey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Ok, took a taxi from the airport the other night. The driver had a Dash Cam fitted so I asked if it had come in useful.

Oh yes, he replied, only the previous night a guy had run out from a side street and straight into his path! Screaming all over the place and veining serious injuries in his best broken English.

While waiting for the ambulance and police, he noticed a few other guys hanging around the side street, and mentioned this to the police. They said it was a scam and this was a popular place for these incidents to happen. He is also unlikely to have any actual injuries.

I have to admit that although aware this is going on, I’m usually blasé and think it only happens on the mainland. This has brought it home to me that now the time has come to have my own – camera fitted.

So I ask for your advice if you have any experience of a decent dash camera fitted both front and rear with good night visibility and able to record when parked up. All advice, as usual be greatly received, thank you.

Don

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Any Dash Cam Recommendations?

Post by Leslie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Nextbase make very good dash cams , they do one which links a front and rear camera together ,I was looking at them on halfords website so have a look there for a start :D

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 pm

+1 for Nextbase. I use one of their 512GW models which can have a rear cam added too - I still need to wire that in.

The front camera works very well in all light levels. Don’t look at anything that records below 1080p and with a decent data rate. Low data rates mean higher compression and lower quality.

Get a permanent supply for it too :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks guys,

I’ll have a look at Nextbase then. Need to have someone fit it for me as I would make a hash of it! Not sure if I trust Halfords guys to do it.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:17 pm

The one with the rear cam option reduces the quality of the front cam when used together thought that was a bit strange but there you go !

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:51 am

Thanks Leslie,

Doesn’t sound ideal. I’ve watched a couple of YouTube reviews and Thinkware seem to do well. I’ll keep researching

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:37 pm

It still records both camera images at 1080p which is in most cases all you need. If you don’t need rear then it gives 2560x1440.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the help guys, I didn’t mention that I didn’t want a dash cam with a tv screen, sorry. I’m looking for one that sits in front of the rear view mirror.

I’m amazed at just what these things can do these days, including warning you if your about to crash into a vehicle in front of you, geo fencing and tracking. A lot of the features will not be of use to me but it does allow any car to have features that are normally only found on high end cars or very expensive options.

My daughter is likely to be driving early 2020, and guess what’s being fitted to her car?? Not so much big brother, but over protective father!

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm

You could look at one of the Blackvue models? I think they allow you to look at the video via a smartphone or tablet but have no built in screen.