Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Puncture Safe

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Puncture Safe

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:14 am

.............. Anyone here using/used it? It looks to me like an option for when runflats are difficult to source or go NLA. Example:- I can only find 235/55x17 (E83 sizing) runflats still being produced by Bridgestone.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

lezmtaylor

Re: Puncture Safe

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:54 am

I have an E53 with an lpg tank in the boot where the spare tyre usually goes.
For the last 14 years I have used Puncture safe in my tyres and all I can say is I have never had a tyre deflate on me, now whether that is good luck or no punctures I cannot say.
My wife had a slow puncture in her Honda Civic with a small nail in it, so I added some Tyresafe removed the nail, blew up the tyre and you could hear it gradually stop '' hissing'', was good for many miles till tyre wore out.
There is also the old fashioned tyreplug kits for sale on Amazon and I know members have used these with some success.

Lez

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 am

Not on the car, but had it in my motorbike and it saved my life more than once by the number of pink patches showing in the tread. Caravaneers certainly use it. Not sure if they still do, but a number of Ambulance services used it too. You need quite a lot for the size wheels that we have. Being water based it just wipes away when new tyres are needed unlike some of the canned reinflation goop.

I don’t know if it plays nicely with cars fitted with pressure transducers rather than using the E53 type ABS based pressure monitoring system.

EDIT: According to their website, it is fine with pressure transducers in modern pressure monitoring systems as those are sealed against liquids.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:
X5Sport wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 amYou need quite a lot for the size wheels that we have.
Yes. I've checked on their website, and I would need 64 units per set of 4 for my F25. £70 outlay, then.

Last year I bought a Stop & Go plugger kit, which I've kept in the boot. I haven't needed to use it yet, although I have had one puncture recently that I took to my local tyre place, because I was going anyway with SWMBO's Picasso.

The initial plan would be to treat my winter set with Puncture Safe. I don't fancy having to use the plugger at the side of the road in the dark and freezing cold. Then, when I need a new summer set I'll consider putting Puncture Safe in them as well, and taking the hit on the unused(?) Stop & Go kit.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm

X5Sport wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 amI don’t knowif it plays nicely with cars fitted with pressure transducers rather than using the E53 type ABS based pressure monitoring system.
My F25, being pre-LCI, has indirect TPMS like the E53.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:37 pm

I've just discovered a PunctureSafe franchisee selling on eBay at considerably less than the prices listed on PunctureSafe's own web shop. :)

Will be putting an order in while we are on holiday Scotland, for delivery soon after we return.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:56 am

Puncture safe has an expiry date for useage, make sure it is not out of date or has a short time to go !!

Lez

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:14 am

Good call, Lez. :thumbsup: But I'd be able to use probably 75% almost immediately.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:48 am

For continuity:- My PunctureSafe kit has arrived. I'll hopefully get my winter/all-weather set treated in the next few days.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Don't buy it yourself. Get a local mobile tyre fitter to do it for you. I telephoned Puncturesafe to get the name of a local fitter. They gave me the number and somebody turned up at my home to do the job within an hour. Job cost £50 cash for 4 wheels on a motorhome. That was a few years ago but I'm sure the cost would be reasonable.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29 am

I installed the PunctureSafe on Monday afternoon. The car didn't move again until this morning (it's MOT day.....). Drove at <30mph for 4 miles, then gradually increased speed, and by 7 miles the imbalance had completely gone. The job's a good 'un. :)

I'll be doing the summer set when they go back on in April.