Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Magnetic sockets

General car related chat
AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Magnetic sockets

Post by AW8 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Following on from question posed by X555

[quote=""x555""]........Is there a magnetic socket set available ? as something like this would be great on certain jobs :) [/quote]

You're not alone I genuinely belive there is a big gap in the magnetic hand tool market.

I'm not sure if a magnetic U/J or extension bar would be the answer or not, the logic being this would magnetise an attached socket bit. link showing a 3/8" u/j

I did a quick search and found these results on a uk site.

Note the Ko-Ken socket bits can be bought individually. The other option would be to go for a small set like those from daraper that have magnetic bit holders or magnetic t-bars. Not sure how much magnetic force gets transfered to the actual bit & in turn whether theres enough to hold a nut/fastener.

I bought a magnetiser which works with mixed reults depending how long you work on the fastener after charging the bit similar to this
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Magnetic sockets

Post by AW8 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Draper 32580 Cheap 1/4" set with magnetic driver which in teory should magnetise the socket bits. Safer to use sturdier kit to free tight fitting fastenings initially then this to finish off undoing. Not got this but maybe suitable link here

Company trading name nothing to do with pvr on here btw.

That site has great deals. I prior bought my Draper 69666 there Halfords Pro sets rumoured similar to metal wrench Draper Expert. Not magnetic but great deal on this set

Back to something more magnetising I found these magnetic inserts Possibly a sensible & workable solution.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Great stuff :thumbsup: and info as usuall mate thanks for the effort :D
I will scan through those links when i have more time.I have had a flash look and i may go down the route of trying those magnetic insets in the last link.
After all it's only really needed to start the nut/bolt on its way or even finish un-doing it as once the thread is started then it can no longer drop into the bowels of the engine bay.
It just crossed my mind the other night when pi@;ing about trying to fish out the socket extension that had dropped :headbang: :lol: and as of late i have had some awkward places to get at where you just know that sodding nut is gonna drop of the end of the socket :roll:
Thanks again for the links :thumbsup:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Glad of use....................Inserts seem a sensible option :thumbsup:

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Haven't got around to ordering the inserts yet and ironicaly prob done the biggest job that i wiil do on the car :roll:
However i did call in halfords earlier whilst fetching my new manifold etc from the lacal stealers and came across this little beauty..... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PDPz1
I couldn't resist so i got myself an early birtday prezzie :D
I actually thought that it was the one you put a link to earlier AW8 and got exited when i saw the price tag but when i got home i realised that that was the 150 piece set :slaphead: ....nevermind still a good set for the price :thumbsup: I only wen't in for a 3/8 ratchet as i have a decent set but knackered the ratchet when doing the cv joints a while back :rofl:
Ohh well better go and test em out now :D
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Got the magnetic socket inserts today, they are quite small and are a nice tight fit in the socket head, plenty of magnetism to hold nuts or bolts, although some clever dick will say they won't work with stainless nuts and bolts!!
Thanks for the headsup AW8.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Apologies for motivating folk top spend more £'s ;)

Lez - Glad the inserts of use.

x555- My more modest set is 3/8" I did my research before buying & found this to be a opoular size ang good compromise on socket size allowing for access ( from socket wall not too big), & strength, (from walls not being too thin). Also lots of interchangable kit for 2/8" sets

Bungie

Post by Bungie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Get a Magnet, hold it or tape it to whatever you are using by your hand out of the way and job done. Those kids twisty thingy magnets are very strong.