Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Locking Wheel Bolts - Code?

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Locking Wheel Bolts - Code?

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm

For those of you with the newer style security bolts on your wheels, how do you know what the re-order code for your vehicle is? I haven't lost my key, but in the event I need to order another one, it would be handy to know.

On our E46 and E53 the key code is stamped on the key itself, but there is nothing on the X6 key other than a coloured sticker - which doesn't help apparently. RealOEM indicates what looks like a keycode card

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=36&fg=25

Did any of you get such a thing with yours? Probably applies to E70 and E71 and maybe other 'F' series models at a guess.

Incidentally, my dealer said it's actually cheaper to order a complete replacement set of bolts plus key (about £25) than just the key (nearly £50). Their parts department didn't know how to find the code either.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Locking Wheel Bolts - Code?

Post by Chompers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Can only think that the code is recorded by the factory at the time of production and that BMW GB will have it somewhere on the vehicle history. The other posibility is that the security bolts are fitted at Thorne by BMW before dispatch to the relevant Selling dealer. Again this should be recorded by them. Whats different about the new bolts compared to the old ones?
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm

The older style security wheel bolt is a splined key with the splines specific to that set so only the right one fits perfectly. The new style system uses a shaped milled or stamped special slot in the head of the bolt into which a matching keybolt fits.

I know for the E53 no one knew any of the details as to which one was fitted but the dealer holds a 'Master Set' which contains a complete set of keytools and is used to identify which bolt code is in use. We dud mislay the E53 one but by chance the dealer had a spare as they had ordered the wrong one for a Sales Team pool car and they let me have it for free. The old style keys are only about £10. If all else fails I'll go and see them and try out different ones until we find the right one. There are more than 30 possible combinations if I remember correctly

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Ok thanks for that. I have just checked my car and it has the newer security bolt design as you describe ^^ and yes it has a coloured symbol sticker on top of it. When I purchased my car I got the dealer to print off VZBO for me, this details all the order codes for the car and the security bolt option is noted as 2PA. Whether this can be looked at in more detail to get an exact code I'm not sure.
Current
Previous

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Either we have the same bolts - unlikely, or it's a common code. My VZBO also 2PA on it as well. Still it was worth a look. I got the same printout for mine but never really looked at. Thanks for the tip. :D

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Either we have the same bolts - unlikely, or it's a common code. My VZBO also 2PA on it as well. Still it was worth a look. I got the same printout for mine but never really looked at. Thanks for the tip. :D[/quote]

Depends what the colour and symbol are, maybe that has something to do with it. You tell me yours and i'll tell you mine :rofl: PM may be better ;)
Current
Previous

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 am

Ok, just to follow up on this. There is a difference in colour between our security locking bolts but the symbol is the same, so maybe BMW hold a lmaster list of the various combinations. If so maybe worth noting what you have for future reference.
Current
Previous

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 am

I'm picking up an air filter and oil separator later today and will mention our findings to them too and let folks know.

Just to re-iterate for all that the old style security bolts there is a number stamped on the splined end of the removal tool and that is your key number should you ever lose it. Dealers carry a master set which will allow you to identify the key if you have not logged the number, but won't give you a new one without You, the V5 and some ID being present, or at least they shouldn't offer you one without....

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 am

Might it be worth getting an aftermarket set of locking wheel nuts with an additional key so then you can keep one in the car and one in the house in the unlikely event that you lose one?

I have never lost a locking wheel nut key before but know people who have and it costs much more than £25 to get the nuts off (depending on the head type).

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:06 pm

I was unlucky enough to lose one - but it took three years to notice :oops:

All I know is the tyres were changed in 2007 and because I ever had a puncture, or needed to take any wheel off until last Summer, I never looked for it or gave it a thought. Dealer provided the replacment with no issues as they had one in stock. That alerted mt to keeping a record. The Dealer had no idea about the colour codes as they just go get their master set. Their parts folks suggested I just buy another set and use the key. I pointed out the bl33ding obvious in that unless it came with the same key then it didn't help. Good point he said!!

So it looks like the colour code is what you need. There is no record kept by BMW GB.

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am

[quote=""X5Sport""]There is no record kept by BMW GB.[/quote]

Well that is helpful of them!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue