Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Car Conundrum X5? X3? Mini?

General car related chat
Motor84

Post by Motor84 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi all, just sharing my conundrum with you. I've got the itch, its time for a new car. But I just don't know what to do at the moment. Planning doing this in the summer/Sept.

The general rules are:
Need to sell current 330i touring.
Wife wants a 4x4 but also loves Minis.
Don't want to spend more than £20,000.

Option 1.
Earlyish X3 3.0i - £10-12,000.
Mini Cooper fully loaded (around 05) - £8,000
X3 for long runs, holidays skiing, UK winter. Mini for running around London.
Pros - 2 cars in the family, handy. Quite like the idea of having slightly older car that can get scratched by our little one. Get both the 4x4 and the London runaround.
Cons - 3.0i is thirsty!! And the early X3s have build quality issues. 2 sets of running costs.

Option 2.
Get another X5
I loved my old X5, awesome motor. But that would be a 1 car budget buster. Would have to be a diesel.
Pros - Back in an X5!!! 4x4ness achieved. Wife loves the X5.
Cons - Lots of running around London needed, thirsty work for the X5, fuel prices on the rise! Our old X5 always felt a little too large for us.

Option 3.
Get a newer diesel X3
For £20,000 a well specced BMW approved is possible. On a good day a 30d or lower spec 35d.
Pros - Get the 4x4, get a newer car. Wife likes the X3. 35d is quick!
Cons - Only 1 car for use. Face possible high Depreciation.

I know most of you guys would just say 'get the X5', but as a side note of X5 v X3. Something has changed in me, I actually really like the older X3 now, to me its got the proper older Beemer look, with the right wheels and colour, they look good! I've done some research, I am to believe the X3 has the same 4x4 skills (lets face it snow ability) as the X5. The later X3 diesels are quite economic. And the X3 is more our kind of size. However, with the X3 I think I may always feel like I'm either driving the wifes car, or that I'm driving a poor relation of the car I really want, the X5! Some practical points are very important here though, fuel economy and wifes happiness.

Not looking for hard and fast answers, but drop in your opinion if you fancy, or put me right on the X3 v X5 thing. I love getting a new car, but its agonsing making the choice!

B
Current
09 BMW 318d Touring
15 BMW R nine T

jango-fett

Post by jango-fett » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:33 pm

What about the new MINI countryman.... 4x4 and MINI all rolled into one... Not sure how much they cost but might be able to get a new one within budget.......probably very little to lose in resale value as well.
2002 4.4i Sport E53,Silver,Grey Leather,Comms Pack
2001, MINI One....

StumpyPete

Re: New Car Conundrum X5? X3? Mini?

Post by StumpyPete » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:05 pm

looked at a countryman today - very nice, but 22k for a diesel with decent spec....possibly more.

Motor84

Post by Motor84 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 pm

I have thought about one of those. But on occasion we do need space, they look quite small inside. Look cool though!!
Current
09 BMW 318d Touring
15 BMW R nine T

Motor84

Post by Motor84 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Just had another look at the Countryman. A bit like the X1, the actual 4x4 version is pricey! Love the look of them though, very chunky!
Current
09 BMW 318d Touring
15 BMW R nine T

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Given that although you like it, one would be too expensive to run in London and you thought it a 'bit big' and you're sounding a little less than conviced about the mini (would not be my choice) it seems you may be leaning towards the X3. £20k should be able to buy you another quite late production E53 or early E70 - which though more economical is bigger. The same funds will of course by a later spec X3.

I'd go for the X5, but mainly because the build and materials used in the 1st gen X3 have never been seen as good. The 2nd gen one is much better and is almost E53 in size. Cost out of you're current limit though.

Of course you could by an earlier E53 and something more economical for London only use......... :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Motor84

Post by Motor84 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:45 pm

You're right X5Sport, the X3 is standing out. I know what will happen though, I'll end up with an X5!! Not a bad thing of course.

Just enjoying the 'hunt' for now. Autotrader and Pistonheads, when I can find a spare moment!
Current
09 BMW 318d Touring
15 BMW R nine T

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I looked at the X3 before buying the X5. After the M5 my plan was to get my wife the X3 as she feels the X5 is too big for herself to drive and then get myself something more fun....but after checking the X3 out at our local dealer, we just didn't much of it. Even my wife thought it was a bit cheap and not the usual BMW standard you would expect from the interior, etc.

Personally, X5 everytime.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 pm

New X3 is a lot better, but of course a lot more expensive. I specced one up but couldn't get within company car budget......I agree about the older ones, really don't like them much, the finish is miles away from that of the X5....
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

jon

Post by jon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:41 pm

I've had a Cooper S Clubman and only recently (last weekend) handed back a X3 2.0d in favour of a e70.
Mini was great for round town, went really well and returned 38mpg even when giving it beans.
Build quality was ok on the Mini but there are known problems with the 1.6 turbo engine needing the valve gear to be replaced.

X3 the mrs ran for just over 3 years, it was a 2.0d se 150bhp and was probably the best car overall we've owned.
It was mega reliable and handled the kids battering it and also used it as a van almost when I built an extension at home.
MPG wasn't great on it for 2.0d, 35 on a run and between 28-30 round town.
Build quality was good if not a bit hard and plasticy.
I'd recommend both the Mini & X3 totally different cars but both good for what they do.

X5 is a totally different league to the X3 though.