Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PELA Pumps

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PELA Pumps

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Has anyone got or used any of these oil suction pumps that fit down the dipstick hole and suck all of the oil out?

I've come across a PELA 6000 which holds 6 litres of oil for around £40 or the PELA Pro 14K which holds 14 and is around £100. Given that most of the diesel X's fall somewhere in between the range the 14k would be the better but expensive option compared to a 6000 and an oil can.

Saves scabbling about under the car and of course keeps everything level. Was thinking of buying one, but curious as to what other folks have done, or use?

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

phill

PELA Pumps

Post by phill » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:24 pm

They were used on the Smart car, because there is no drain plug on the engine, everybody on the smart forums rate them as being very good.
I bought a mechanical pump when I had to change the oil in our Smart, basically you pull the handle and the oil is sucked through the one of the pipes, when you push the handle the oil is pushed out through the other pipe into what ever container you have.
Most people say that you need the oil to be warm as it is easier to suck from the engine.

Phill

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
2003 SAAB 9-3t convertible 175bhp - current
2003 X5 4.6is - Now dead

Dan1502

Re: PELA Pumps

Post by Dan1502 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Where's the filter on the X5? Would you still need to get underneath to replace that?
2004 E53 3.0D Sport
2016 F25 X5 35D MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Filter is RHS of the engine opposite the oil filler cap and behind the PAS reservoir. Accessed from above. Alloy casting with a black plastic cap with a 37mm(?) hexagon moulded in it. Filter comes out upwards from within. See below:

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 pm

I use a similar pump on my twin inboard engines in my boat, mine is 12v electric powered.
Yes it is a must to have the engine oil really warmed up to help in the sucking out.
It does a good job.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Dan1502

Post by Dan1502 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Filter is RHS of the engine opposite the oil filler cap and behind the PAS reservoir. Accessed from above. Alloy casting with a black plastic cap with a 37mm(?) hexagon moulded in it. Filter comes out upwards from within. See below:[/quote]

Totally different oil filter to what I've seen before then. Thanks.
2004 E53 3.0D Sport
2016 F25 X5 35D MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:38 pm

[quote=""Dan1502""][quote=""X5Sport""]Filter is RHS of the engine opposite the oil filler cap and behind the PAS reservoir. Accessed from above. Alloy casting with a black plastic cap with a 37mm(?) hexagon moulded in it. Filter comes out upwards from within. See below:[/quote]

Totally different oil filter to what I've seen before then. Thanks.[/quote]

All you change is the paper bit inside rather than throwing it and a metal can away every time. Mind you the filters are still about £22 each, and as for BMW's price for oil!! I'm changing that myself from now on. £106+VAT for 7.2 litres in the X6. It's still Castrol but must come in a platinum plated bottle :evil:
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan1502

Post by Dan1502 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Thanks, handy to know if I ever want to do it myself and using one of these pumps seems a good idea if they get all the oil out.
2004 E53 3.0D Sport
2016 F25 X5 35D MSport

motormender

Post by motormender » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 pm

we have 2 at work. one is a sealey one that has a hand pump on top and the other has a connection for air line on it. the pump one is far better and can recomend it. i must admit i have not tried it on the x5 as not needed to as have ramps as you would expect. it can save lots of time but is better on some cars than others depending on the shape of the sump. if the dipstick is at the front of the sump and the back end is lower you will not get it all out. when we first got them we compiled a list of which cars it was good for and which were bad by sucking out as much as poss with pump and then removing plug to see what it left behind. from memory vw 1.9 tdi engines were really good as it got out more than removing the plug but most rwd cars were not as good due to sump shape. great tool to have about though. good for bleeding brakes and sucking out coolent header tanks to top up antifreeze level without full change. hth
dave
06 E53 3.0d Sport exclusive le mans blue. Fully Loaded
www.priorygarage.co.uk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Useful to know. I think the X5 sump is lower at the back, and the dipstick goes into that area too so maybe the pumps are
OK. I might have to get the bigger version as the Sealey, as with the equivalent PELA, has less capacity than the X5 holds.

I had not thought about coolant changes, but could be useful there too. I know there are supposed to be specific requirements for bleeding the brakes which ISTR requires use of either a positive pressure, or vacuum system.
Last edited by X5Sport on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:43 pm

if you used one of these pumps to do a oil change

it will not remove all the old oil after some time you may get a layer of drit /sludge stuck to the bottom of the sump

we had a car in with problems with the oil pickup,after we removed the sump we found a layer of sludge at the bottom of the sump,this customer has all ways sucked out his own oil for manys years and used the right oil,change the oil on time and kept a record and all bill for the car
the pick up pipe mesh was blocked with solid carbon type bits

saying that i have heard of some techs at the dealers using this to do a oil service
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 am

They are a good idea and can reduce the mess a little if doing the service yourself at home but I would always still lift the car and empty the remainder from the sump. Last thing you want is the kack at the bottom of the sump being dragged through your engine, new oil and new filter.

Would not be happy if I found the dealers were doing this!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black