Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

should i buy a diesel or not

General car related chat
the shreksta

should i buy a diesel or not

Post by the shreksta » Tue May 01, 2018 5:05 pm

as I'm looking at getting another e53 x5 it has crossed my mind that with all that's going on with diesels should I just go for a petrol version?

is it true that any smoke from the exhaust now on a diesel is an mot fail?

don't really want a petrol version as the v8 have timing chain issues which I would like to avoid.

a little stuck on which to go for now

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: should i buy a diesel or not

Post by X5Sport » Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 pm

Only if it is a car equipped with a DPF.  Smoke on a non-DPF car is fine (and you cannot stop).  It just has to pass the relevant EU smoke test.

I have just ordered another diesel as petrol makes no sense with us doing 18k miles a year.  Some diesel cars are appreciating in value now.
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

the shreksta

Post by the shreksta » Thu May 03, 2018 4:45 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Only if it is a car equipped with a DPF.  Smoke on a non-DPF car is fine (and you cannot stop).  It just has to pass the relevant EU smoke test.

I have just ordered another diesel as petrol makes no sense with us doing 18k miles a year.  Some diesel cars are appreciating in value now.
[/quote]

hi and thanks, I will have to have a good think about it, I don't need a diesel as I only do around 5k a year but the timing chain woes on the v8 scare me

Sky Bear

Post by Sky Bear » Mon May 07, 2018 2:02 pm

For only 5K a year I would go V8. Lovely sound and just accept that at some point in the future you will most likely do the guides. Plan to do them preemptively.

I don’t know if the current worry over diesels will change or not but our local ford dealership has said the only diesels they are selling now are to firms. Private customers have all been buying petrol. He says that most of them are worried that they will end up paying every time they go into a city in the future.

Glad I live in the countryside.

SB
5.0L E53 owner who has a child like grin when driving. Hobbies include visiting lots of petrol stations. :drive: