Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Warranty

General car related chat
ugene425

BMW Warranty

Post by ugene425 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi there

I am looking at buying a E70 X5 for my family, ideally with under 60,000 miles (with of course FSH). The BMW warranty I see is approx £100 pcm under the 60k mileage threshold for this car/model, then its almost double the cost pcm if the vehicle has done over 61k miles.

Does anyone have any experience with BMW warranties - are they worth paying for? I know there are cheaper warranties out there (such as The AA or RAC) but I have read from other forums that the companies always try to wriggle out of paying when you need to make a claim).  BMW warranty seems not to be quite the case?

Any help would be appreciated before I take the plunge in buying one of these cars.

Many thanks.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BMW Warranty

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:48 pm

BMW warranties are basically better than pretty much anything else on offer.

You can reduce the cost by picking up some of the tab, and if you pay by continuous monthly direct debit then the policy cost only changes if something like Insurance Premium Tax changes.

Most, if not all, other warranties only cover certain items, or you have to pay all of the diagnostic charges.

I have been paying a BMW warranty on my X6 and given the cost of items such as gearboxes or timing chain failures can quickly run towards £10k for repairs (BMW don’t repair parts, they just replace), I don’t begrudge it.

CondorX5 has had £thousands paid out by BMW over the last few years and with barely a quibble.

You will have to stick with BMW servicing and only use approved tyres (marked with an ‘*’).  If you don’t then they will walk away.
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ugene425

Post by ugene425 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you for this.

The car I am very interested in buying is a 2009 M Sport 3.0D with 43,000 miles.

The AA and RAC offer far cheaper warranties but perhaps try to wiggle out of any claim?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:58 pm

From experience of old, RAC warranties had an upper claim limit - which may not be enough with a BMW!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ugene425

Post by ugene425 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:03 pm

right thanks! good to know!

BMW will be £100 pcm with a £250 excess