Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

any ideas on this welcome

General car related chat
marinaman

any ideas on this welcome

Post by marinaman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Evening all
Wonder if anyone has an idea why the panama roof panels have developed this patch on over the years, im unsure if its a glass top or some kind of special Acrylic or similer, Ive searched the web high and low but find nothing.  its also called a Lamella roof if that helps anyone. it concertinas backwards as it opens.
It crossed my mind,  the very clever chaps on here will know. They know everything  :)) and im sure they will help even though its a little A class Merc i got for the daughter,,  sadly no BMW is suitable at the moment for her driving level and age, i did try her on the X5 insurance.  went from £230 to £3300  :))
If you run a fingernail you can feel the difference,  have tried, 2000 wet and dry, Farecla G3 and a polisher. but all its done is make it smoother but the damage wont even fade a little.
If you look very close its like a line of laquer peeling off is the only way i can describe it.

Many thanks for any advice.

Last edited by marinaman on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: any ideas on this welcome

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:13 pm

All that I can think of is that the glass was dipped in a tank to create the tinting rather than being done any other way, or possibly the outside has/had some form of IR coating to keep the heat transmission down?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:44 pm

After you’ve polished the hell out of it, could you apply a dark exterior tint film to cover the patchiness up, might hide it so it looks better
E53 X5 4.6is Carbon Black 2003
Mercedes CLK 320
Audi A6 Quattro 2.4

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:48 pm

Never even thought it may have a tint coating on there,  seems a good idea and would solve the riddle as to what it is,  also the tint film is a top idea if it stills looks odd.

I knew you chaps would come up trumps again  :beer2: :beer2:
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com