Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible help against car thieves

General car related chat
graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Possible help against car thieves

Post by graemeX5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi all

I just read this article on RAC website which may be of help to others about those with keyless entry.

By using tin foil around the key you can block the the signal being read which is a cheap and easy solution to the problem.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motori ... SP_Advice1

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Possible help against car thieves

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Or use these....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MONOJOY-Blocki ... D+key+case

I had them for both the Škoda Superb and our new 220xD Gran Tourer, both of which have keyless systems.  The key is totally shielded and does not work even right beside the car.  A travel sweetie tin or similar should also work.  The RFID wallets act as a Faraday Cage.  No rf signals in or out.

As long as the key is screened at radio frequencies, thieves cannot pick up the codes from the key and therefore cannot unlock or start the car.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by graemeX5 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:03 am

Hi

That's neater and definitely the way to go with protecting the key from being read. Maybe it would help if manufacturers should provided them with new cars to protect the keys.

They did make mention car manufacturers should also do more to protect the key from being read, but not sure how that would work unless it uses better encryption of the signal.

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

marti

Post by marti » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 am

Put mine in a sweetie tin :), spare in a metal safe....folks always forget about the spare!

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:17 am

As I replied to a previous post, refuse to accept a car unless the dealer is supplying sufficient Faraday wallets to cover the number of ignition keys with car.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube