Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

e53 or e70

General car related chat
the shreksta

e53 or e70

Post by the shreksta » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:48 pm

so im looking at getting another x5. ideally i want one with the auc warranty in place but its getting harder to find an e53 with this. (none for sale on the approved used bmw site).

i plan on using the car to do alot of driving around europe with the mrs so would an e53 now be too old/unreliable? i had an e53 2 years ago and i loved it and apart from a few niggles (battery/manifold) it was reliable.

diff issues with the e53 concern me as ive read alot of threads about diffs failing and they cannot be rebuilt. does this issue occur in the e70?

really struggling to make a decision on which model to get.

marti

Re: e53 or e70

Post by marti » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:44 pm

I had an e53 3.0d for 8 years with only the turbo going, apart from that just service parts brakes etc....I trusted that car to the end of the earth...sold it to my friend and he has had no issues...I now have an e71 X6 35d....do I trust that??...NO!...not yet...dont think it will come any where near the e53's reliability...saying that its all down to servicing......trouble is you dont know how its been serviced prior to you owing it...hence the turbo went...I always service mine myself every 8000miles...all filters etc, thing is now there are to many sensors etc. that fail..basically they are now to complicated...I run a sprinter van for work so example:

My sprinters

2002 sprinter 4 sensors

2008 sprinter 9 sensors

2011 sprinter 13 sensors

You only need one to fail and its an avalanche.
Last edited by marti on Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.