Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre Query

General car related chat
Guernsey70

Tyre Query

Post by Guernsey70 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:41 am

Hi everyone,

Please forgive, as I know this subject has been discussed on the forum at length. 

I have one question.  Kwik Fit told me that changing the RFT's to non RFT's is classed as a modification and could affect my insurance.

Is this true?

Thanks

G70

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tyre Query

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am

Technically yes, but not really if you are sticking with the manufacturers approved tyres and they are ‘*’ marked.

As long as those tyres are offered by BMW then it is not a concern.  Winter sets are frequently non-RFT and there is no issue.

Some insurers are still in the 19th Century on this sort of stuff, but most won’t care.

I think KF may be overstating the case a bit.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Spandex

Re: Tyre Query

Post by Spandex » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 pm

I don't believe it counts as a modification at all, as long as you fit tyres which meet the manufacturers spec. For the X5, I don't believe the spec states they must be RFT and it doesn't state they must be star marked either (star marked is a recommendation, not a requirement). So, any tyres that match the sizes/ratings stated in the manual for your wheel style are not a modification.

From a legal standpoint (i.e. the construction and use regulations) the only requirement is that the tyres you fit are suitable for the intended use of the vehicle. So, for example, it is legal to fit tyres with a speed rating below the maximum speed of the vehicle if you do not ever drive at that speed. The legality of your tyres doesn't necessarily override your obligations to notify your insurer though, obviously.