Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lower quality fuel?

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Lower quality fuel?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:24 pm

I usually stick to branded fuel, mainly Esso because it's nearest to home.  When I had the E46 330d I also added Millers Diesel Power Ecomax, but stopped that when I saw the "NO ADDITIVES" on the F25's fuel cap.

We're planning on doing the North Coast 500 this Autumn, and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of branded fuel on the route.  I'm fairly sure that I'll need to refuel (we are bound to make a few detours, deliberate or otherwise) en-route.  So how do N57 engines cope with fuel of unknown provenance?  Should I just do a "splash & dash", enough to get me to the nearest decent fuel?

TIA
Stuart
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Lower quality fuel?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Road vehicle fuels sold in the EU all have to comply with EU Standard EN590:2009

The only difference between say Tesco fuel and Shell fuel is what the driver sticks in as an additive when filling the tanker, or when replenishing the forecourt tankage  All fuel comes from the same depots and refineries regardless of what it might say on the forecourt.  Go to any fuel distribution depot and you will all kinds of labelled tankers filling up from the same storage tanks.

We had a member on here who’s job was testing fuels and who confirmed it all comes from the same bunker stores and only additives may be different.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Re: Lower quality fuel?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:26 pm

OK, thanks for ^^^ that.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)