Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which X5 should I consider buying next with a limited budget

General car related chat
shy7g

Which X5 should I consider buying next with a limited budget

Post by shy7g » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 pm

OK Fellow X5 Owners
I’ve had my E53 for little over 6 ½ years now and I’m thinking of having a change. Mileage wise I do about 2K-miles/yr at the very most.  My E53 (BETSY) is the 4.6iS on a 52 plate running on petrol/LPG and has just over 94.4K-miles on the clock.
With a budget of £17K max. which model(s) should I consider looking at? I’ve seen at a quick glance that I’ll have to more than likely have to travel around the country to pick up the best of them, which isn't a problem.
Considerations
• Do I stick with a petrol motor and have an LPG system fitted upon purchase or go for a diesel instead?
• Do I buy a younger model with higher than normal mileage on it or go for an older model with average mileage on it?
Must haves
        -  Obviously an automatic gearbox.
        -  Black leather interior.
        -  A sunroof/panroof ideally.
        -  Would like the 7-seater model, but not compulsory.
I know at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference, but would like to hear from those of you who have changed from one model of X5 to a newer model of X5.
Look forward to receiving your suggestions.
Thanks to all who reply
Cheers Rich

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Which X5 should I consider buying next with a limited budget

Post by Leslie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:05 pm

2k a year forget lpg you would never get the cost back and lose bootspace and petrol only no diesels which will hate such low miles and struggle to regen and be trouble very soon.Fuel cost isn't going to be an issue at all for you so v8 all the way and they never made any manuals so its auto only too .
I wanted black leather too but I have to say the nevada beige looks the business now  8)  The 7 seater rear seats are very cramped and you lose the bootspace under the false floor so a bit of a compromise there .
  Pan roof is great but very expensive if it goes wrong but id still like to have one. :)

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Well specced E70 with the 40d engine.  And give the car a good run down the motorway every few weeks to allow the regen.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 pm

My e70 and I’ll replace it with a Cayenne !

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:12 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]

Cayenne make sure you get a good one and definitely make sure you get a bullet proof warranty.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:23 pm

well as an lpg devotee, I would go for lpg especially if you can find one already fitted.
With lpg as low as 58 p per litre and it is a low polution fuel, with nil congestion charge in London , It has got to a consideration.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:25 pm

[quote="Reusch"]
[quote="snrbrtsn"]

Cayenne make sure you get a good one and definitely make sure you get a bullet proof warranty.
[/quote]

Approve used or new  ;)

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:00 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]
[quote="Reusch"]
[quote="snrbrtsn"]

[/quote]

Approve used or new  ;)

I can only afford oldies so you should be ok
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

A Blair

Post by A Blair » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I have to agree with Lez on the LPG. You would need to research on other engines if you add LPG to the next one. If you look outside BMW I would recommend you try first. Some of the other Marques have a lot of tyre noise in comparison with an X5. Check out running costs too. Some of the first Cayennes engines where prone to major problems. Porsche never supported or recognised the problems with the first water cooled engines (996).
Good luck and let's all know your choice.
X5 E53 2005 4.4 Sport. Toledo Blue
Things to consider.
Radio. (something in
Detail Car.

shy7g

Post by shy7g » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:09 pm

When I purchased my BETSY part of the criteria of the purchase was to have an LPG system fitted straight away, so getting back the cost of the LPG was written off as it was part of the purchase price as I knew running the 4.6 on petrol all the time would never be an economic possibility. I would always get back some of the cost as the LPG system on the vehicle as it will be a good selling point for any future owner.
Losing the wheel well space is not a problem as I rather an LPG tank sat there instead of a spare "go slow" wheel, like many of the modern cars on the road today more and more have a puncture repair aerosol kits instead of having a lumpy spare wheel taking up space, so this is what I have available to me if ever needed, and when going to the pump it always puts a smile on my face when I'm having to pay out 59.9p a litre  :), and I even once was happy when I had to fill up at motorway service station at 65.9p, at these prices it's cheap motoring.
Update - Having looked at the figures the past 4-years I'm doing closer to a stunning 3000-miles a year  :)) :))
so still open minded and looking around............

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:02 pm

3000 mile a year  :)) I don't think what ever you choose will break the bank for fuel anyway unless of course you buy diesel which will likely clog up the dpf with all the short runs , trying to make a conscious effort with mine to avoid as many short runs as possible and use our other petrol car  :)