Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyres - how long do you keep yours?

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tyres - how long do you keep yours?

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:29 pm

Assuming that your tyres are still legal in terms of tread, how long would you keep a set on your car?

I’ve seen advice that suggests any tyre should be replaced after 6 years due the the deterioration of the rubber compounds used, and given the winter set on my X6 are about to hit 8 years but are still legal, I just wondered what others on here would be thinking?

I am about to replace them anyway because the tread depth is about 3mm all round which is borderline useful in any event and I know most tyres go off performance wise at 3mm or less.

I only do about 5k a year which is why they have lasted so long - though on my second set of summer rubber.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sid10

Re: Tyres - how long do you keep yours?

Post by sid10 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:01 pm

I read somewhere the other day 10 years is the maximum, but normally change winter tyres at 4mm, as the aren't as effective under this unlike normal summer tyres. Pm me as I have a set of 19" X6 alloys and tyres for sale dated 2014 fronts 6-7mm rears 4.5-6mm all vredestein 4 extreme as X5 E53 has been sold which is what they were on with spigot rings.
Regards

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:46 pm

I’d say 7 years at most, the Michelin’s on mine were 9 years old and had enough tread on but there was cracking in the sidewalls so I put new ones on.  I tow a caravan occasionally (not with the X5) and you’ll find similar advice in the towing community - usually consensus is 5-7 years but rarely do any get changed because they’ve run the tread down.
E53 X5 4.6is Carbon Black 2003
Mercedes CLK 320
Audi A6 Quattro 2.4

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:07 pm

My experience of winter tyres was they age much quicker than summer tyres due to the use of natural rubber which is why they remain flexible at low temps .Unfortunately this is quite prone to cracking and letting water into the cords/canvas which rots it out.
    I've actually had 2 inner sidewalls fail at different times thankfully at very low speed (nokian winter tyres ) which were around 6 years old so if I got winters again after about 3 or 4 years run them though the summer to wear them out and replace  :)
I read somewhere Michelin I think recommends 10 years as a max .