Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Do Non Run Flat Work?

General car related chat
Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Do Non Run Flat Work?

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:52 am

Hi Guys,

I had bought a set of 19” winter wheels for the car with non run flat tyres. Unfortunately the wheels didn’t fit, so now looking at 20”s but while at the tyre depot, the technician was concerned that non run flats can cause issues in the X. I have used this set up on previous models but these used the abs and rotation speed to warn of low pressure, however with this newer model and the TMPS system fitted, so long as I fit a set of TMPS sensors, does anyone know of a reason why the non flats could cause an issue?

All advice received with thanks.

Don

sid10

Re: Do Non Run Flat Work?

Post by sid10 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Don
I am sure that none runflat tyres are ok to use on the F15/F16 although BMW recommend star rated tyres , they only use runflat tyres to eliminate a spare wheel as the offsets are different you would really need two spare wheels in the car .
regards
sid10

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks Sid,

I think I’ll go with what I can get (non run flat). I will carry a spare, although I’m not sure two are required as it’s the BMW one and they only offer 1 I believe.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:00 pm

BMW offer star-rated non-run flat tyres so they must be OK. You can put something like Puncturesafe in them as this can permanently seal holes up to 5mm safely.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:41 pm

X5Sport wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:00 pm BMW offer star-rated non-run flat tyres so they must be OK. You can put something like Puncturesafe in them as this can permanently seal holes up to 5mm safely.
Great shout Richard,

I’ve used puncturesage before but when it had a different name and hadn’t been able to find them until you posted their new name, thanks.

Don