Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CTEK chargers

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

CTEK chargers

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Anyone know off the top of their head what spec an X6 needs, 5amp?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CTEK chargers

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:04 pm

5A will be fine for all-day or overnight charging, 10A for about 8 hours on a fully flat battery. I have both. The 10A version also has a ‘supply’ mode which will allow the battery to be replaced without losing any settings :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks for that.

I already have a BMW badged version i use permanently on my largely static 6er. Thats connected via clips to the underbonnet points as thats all that came in the kit. It doesnt actually say what the rating is but tells me all is good with that battery.

I spoke to a CTEK distributors earlier who suggested a model 7 which was just under £100 :cry: though they did offer two of the battery connection leads for free, one for each vehicle. Cheaper than a battery i suppose but far from inexpensive. I think I'll buy a 5 amp version, connect the battery lead supplied to the battery and plug it in when necessary. That car lives outdoors but I'm assured these devices are fine if inside the vehicle or even just under the bonnet.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:25 pm

MXS7.0 or MXS5.0 will do, and keep an eye out for deals as these come up every so often too. I got the MXS10 for about £60 on Amazon on a Lightning Deal - massively below rrp :D

I have a set of 10mm Direct Connect eyelets on the under bonnet charging points and a set of Connect 2.5M charging extension leads. You can probably connect a couple of sets together and keep the charger indoors. I have an outside IP66 rated power point and can keep the charger out of the rain - or under the bonnet.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:26 pm

I have a couple of external sockets but the nearest is a good 5+ metres from the car, all on private land though but the easiest will be to use the battery attachment leads with CTEK extension and the socket just inside my garage door.

Looking into where to purchase a charger at sensible money now.