Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts turn to black grills.

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Thoughts turn to black grills.

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 am

So I've been spending, as you do with a new toy, like a man possessed. Mainly practical stuff which is easier to justify (probably) which includes a rubber boot mat and cabin mats. Not gone OE with these i simply can't get my head around BMW pricing on some items. Got some great items from eBay and happy with the savings achieved.

Anyway, thoughts have turned to gloss black grills as a possibility. These would accent the rear spoiler and window frames nicely, but i wonder about the two mesh grills, and to a lesser extent the fog lamp surround trim. The mesh can be replaced for black at a cost, but I'm told requires bumper cover removal :( Thats simply not an option if true. The fog lamp surrounds could be gloss black painted with or without a mesh swap but the costs start to mount.

Has anyone got black grills with the so called "Alu Matt sports package" mesh like my car?

Then the question of the grills, OE which are expensive and new less than the Titan grills fitted :roll: if i pursue this I'm tempted by some of the many aftermarket options, some with the double slats.

I invite your opinions fellow owners :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20181125-103058.png
Screenshot_20181125-103058.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 765 times

marti

Re: Thoughts turn to black grills.

Post by marti » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:35 am

Sprayed all mine with 3 coats of undercoat, 3 coats of sapphire black and 3 coats of lacquer...looks the business, removed the kidney grills and fog surrounds...the rest done in situ,,,,just take your time masking up...done in a day....spring/summer time is best time to undertake...I always do mine the colour of the car
20180617_111726.jpg
20180617_111726.jpg (232.33 KiB) Viewed 757 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Thoughts turn to black grills.

Post by sapphireblack » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Black cars do look good with black trim, my E53 was blacked out.

Not sure i fancy masking off the mesh in situ tbh certainly not this time of year. Did you disassemble the grills for painting? One thought was to have just the chrome blacked out or possibly another (bad?) idea was to colour code the chrome and lamp surrounds and leave tbe slats and mesh original. Not at all sure other than I'd like to lose the chrome.