Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EGR cooler recall. Has yours been done?

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

EGR cooler recall. Has yours been done?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 am

I've read a few horror stories of cars being off the road for an inordinately long time for the EGR cooler recall remedial work. Is this par for the course? ....Or is it the usual "internet bad news travels fast" scenario?

I bought the X3 for several reasons, the main one being that with advancing age I have difficulty getting into and out of saloons. I don't want to be stuck in a 1-series (or worse still, a Mini) courtesy car for a week - considerably more, in one instance I read. When I booked my recall, I got the usual off-hand "We need the car for the day" schpiel. One day I can deal with. I can arrange to be off work and use public transport to get to/from the dealership (12 miles away). More than one day is going to be problematic.

As it's still 6 weeks until my appointment, I suppose that at some point I will be passing near the dealership and could call-in and ask. Trouble is that I don't expect them to tell me any different to the call-centre - even if they know different.

TIA
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Sport160

Re: EGR cooler recall. Has yours been done?

Post by Sport160 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 am

Mine is booked in for a couple of weeks time - I was told on the phone that it's a 2 hour job. Hopefully they're right with that! I didn't know there had been horror stories :o

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 am

Sport160 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 amI was told on the phone that it's a 2 hour job.
It says "approx. 2 hours" on the back of the recall letter, in the FAQs. But knowing how dealerships work (I worked in several over my career) I'm aware that, realistically, that means they'll need the car on site all day - even if it's there for the "start of play" at 08hr00.

What I'm concerned about is they get the car in, remove the offending part (which means draining the coolant), finding it needs replacing, and then the dealership don't have stock of replacements. It used to be the case with many recalls that the part(s) didn't get ordered for specific vehicles until it was confirmed that they were actually needed.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Sport160

Post by Sport160 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Ah. Well that sounds ridiculous, so fingers crossed that doesn't happen. To be honest it took me 3 days just to book the car in due to Sytner's incompetence so I guess I shouldn't expect much with the actual work! :thumbsdown:

Ceesums

Post by Ceesums » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Sytner have had mine for over 2 weeks now. Had a text yesterday saying they were still waiting for parts.
it was booked in for the work in December and promised they would have a car for me to use.
No cars were available on the day it went in, so they booked me a car through Enterprise.
To be honest I might miss the fully loaded 7 series when I get my car back 😃

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:26 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 amI suppose that at some point I will be passing near the dealership and could call-in and ask.
I've just been in. Spoke to a young lass who actually seemed to know what she's talking about. I can take the car in and wait while they do the inspection. However, if the car needs the cooler replaced they are not allowed to let the car off-site until the repair is completed. BMW will provide a car while the car is off-the-road. She also offered the information that the cooler is still on back-order, and that most of the checks they have done have resulted in the cooler being replaced.

I suppose we should be grateful that BMW are taking this problem seriously, and (allegedly) 1.6 million vehicles worldwide can't be easy to deal with, but surely it would be cheaper for BMW to actually recall vehicles in batches corresponding to the number of coolers available?

Stevo

Post by Stevo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:01 pm

The recall is to check the EGR only to see if its effected.. Took me all of 3 hours in garage and mine was fine to drive away with a clean bill of health. If its a faulty EGR then there is a "global" backlog which could be a week or 3 (possibly longer) before part is delivered in which case you get a lovely wee hire car through Enterprise.
Couldn't fault Grassicks BMW in Perth. First class customer service.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:15 am

Stevo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:01 pmIf its a faulty EGR then there is a "global" backlog which could be a week or 3 (possibly longer) before part is delivered in which case you get a lovely wee hire car through Enterprise.
There are horror stories on PistonHeads of cars needing replacement parts still being "impounded" at dealerships from before Christmas! :-o Some owners have been given totally inappropriate hire cars & also been charged £100s in CDW for the privilege.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine won't need parts, but it's not looking good.