Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav Update....Frequency & Announcements

General car related chat
Stinky

Sat Nav Update....Frequency & Announcements

Post by Stinky » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 am

Is there any site which tells of forthcoming BMW Sat Nav updates?....WHY?
Example:
I notice the Manchester Airport Link Road is open since October 2018 but it's still not featuring on the BMW Trip Planner...There's a big saving in time to be had to get to M56 from A6 as you have to go all the way into Stockport otherwise (according to route planner).
I have the Sat Nav 2019-1 update but where's the point if the online BMW Route Planner isn't up to date?

Interestingly both RAC & AA online route planners have the Manchester Airport Link Road included on their software.

Thanks in advance...it would be nice to be able to sign up somewhere to notifications of the NEW releases of the software if it exists?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sat Nav Update....Frequency & Announcements

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:12 pm

I’ve never found that kind of site but there are plenty of that you can check. BMW connected drive might help but you need to check as it doesn’t ‘push’ anything to Owners. If your car has a current ConnectedDrive account you are supposed to get up to 4 updates ‘pushed’ to the car over the cellular connection, but I haven’t had anything since July 2018. I manually updated to 2019-1 a couple of days back.

Some map data can take around two years to show up depending upon the data source. A lot depends upon the point at which the update cycle starts. Map 2019-1 uses 2018 map data and it takes a while to get each map ‘tile’ revised and assembled into the new release, so if the link road opened after that cycle started it might be the 2019-2 release that gets it.p (or later). Google and Here use crowdsourced data (I think).

It took quite a while for the M6 Toll to show up after that opened.

Ordnance Survey were every three years due to needing to get the surveyors and cartographers to do their bits.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Stinky

Re: Sat Nav Update....Frequency & Announcements

Post by Stinky » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Thank you...and yes, like you I too had to download the 2019-1 release manually on my X3 which turned a year old 14th Feb 2019.
I've no doubt as you state that the updates will come but I'm amazed when both RAC & AA have it on their route planners that BMW does not.
I've never owned a BMW before (Lexus & Mercs) so I never knew anything about their bespoke Sat-Nav etc....appears to me to be in need of attention if it's to be any real and viable use to owners. I purchased "BMW Professional Sat Nav" as I do a lot of touring etc. Shame I have to double check all my proposals on AA first.