Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Yet another recall, seriously!

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Yet another recall, seriously!

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:24 am

WTF, BMW another bl**dy recall :thumbsdown:

Just had confirmation from BMW GB that my car needs to have a "heater blower regulator" check. Initially a 1-2 hours check and a possible return for remedial work

mr angry

Re: Yet another recall, seriously!

Post by mr angry » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 am

Which car/model?

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:34 am

sapphireblack wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:24 amInitially a 1-2 hours check and a possible return for remedial work
Better a "possible return for remedial work" than an instant impounding while they wait weeks, maybe months, for parts. :x
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 pm

mr angry wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 am Which car/model?
2009 35d X6

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:17 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:34 am
sapphireblack wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:24 amInitially a 1-2 hours check and a possible return for remedial work
Better a "possible return for remedial work" than an instant impounding while they wait weeks, maybe months, for parts. :x
I agree but three current recalls on the go is lamentable.

moggyboy

Post by moggyboy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:42 pm

How the hell does the recall system work??
I went into the Gov website to check out if my wifes ancient Peugeot was still taxed as I'm giving it away.
Whilst on the website I checked out the MoT history on said Peugeot etc and thought, why not put in my X5 registration number and do the same just for fun?
Low and behold there is a "outstanding recalls" link on the website so I gave it a try, pressed the link and sure enough my 2010 35d apparently has two outstanding recalls that need doing as from the 6th March 2019???????
Now call me cynical but..............
I've had no previous contact of any form about these recalls and isn't it amazing that they only needed to BE recalled from the day I did a random check??
I phoned my local stealer who assured me that none of the two recalls was a safety issue (my X5 is 9 years old this month).
The recalls are for " posible fire risk from the heater blower connectors" and "screw generator" whatever that is?
I asked several times for an explanation of the later but non was forthcoming.
Why are BMW so tardy about recalls and why is the recall system in general so hit and miss?
I'm booked in so we'll see.
:cry:

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 pm

My car had/has the same two issues, 2009 X6 35d as noted above.

Mine had the alternator pully bolt issue sorted last week and having read about wiring issues recently i decided to look again on the DVLA website and there it was, a new wiring issue! I'm advised this recall was only launched this week.

The DVLA notification/date query is odd, i thought just like you but dont understand it either.

As for BMWs tardiness, its disappointing to say the very least. Overwhelmed with problems perhaps.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:24 pm

The DVSA site is well behind the issue date so the best contact option remains via the Dealer BUT they are overwhelmed and in the case of the heater recall knew nothing about it until I prompted. There are 11, yes 11 recalls issued in 2018 for BMWs across their entire model range other than the X7.

I have never seen it so bad for them. Even the airbag recall (which affected multiple manufacturers and millions of airbags) wasn’t this bad. Something has gone very wrong in their quality control department.

Our 2-series only missed the crankshaft sensor software error recall by about 15 number on the VIN range!

Thank goodness for the Forum, as I suspect many of us would know nothing of this otherwise.

And the QE work isn’t even on the DVSA recalls database!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

fergie1471

Post by fergie1471 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 pm

To be fair Iv never had a recall from any other cars iv ever had but I think thats because they just didnt give a toss if they had known problems. At least they are getting the problems sorted free of chanrge and giving nice courtesy cars out. Must be costing them a hell of a lot of money and im sure BMW would rather not be shelling out for all that. Is it mandtory that they do these recalls or is there a governing body that makes them?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:22 pm

My car was back in the workshop today.

All a major anticlimax really as in and out inside an hour as no issue with the 'blower' wiring.

Never seen the dealership car park so full. Warranty work overload I wonder?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 am

fergie1471 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 pm Is it mandtory that they do these recalls or is there a governing body that makes them?
In the EU Regulated areas the first level is under the Manufacturers control and is a ‘number driven exercise - how many vehicles are faulty and a non-safety critical item where the is no perceived danger to users or other road users. Strangely the front propshaft issue was only ever at this level in the EU.

The second level comes where a reported defect is checked by a regulator (VOSA/DVSA for UK) who then decides it’s more serious and has a safety risk hence requiring that a proper published recall is required and it’s mandatory that the Manufacturer takes all reasonable steps to contact registered keepers.

Pretty much everywhere outside the EU Regulated area have far, far stricter rules and much more action is required of the Manufacturer. Dieselgate for VW being an example. In the EU it was a small (for VW) fine and a wagged finger. In the US tens of thousands of cars had to be bought back by VW and Owners compensated on top. It cost them $Billions as well as knocking sales very badly.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.