Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run flats....again

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Run flats....again

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:25 pm

I've found a set of wheels i want to swap onto my car, Style 469 black, factory originals and new. These will need tyres and I'm really loath to pay the premium for runflats which nobody really likes nor wants to repair in the event of puncturing.

I'm contemplating several options including Bridgestone Duelers which is obviously approved in run flat form. I have two 'gunk repair' kits to hand, tho would like a space saver as reassurance. Overall costs if i buy this are much the same as runflats but the RFT ride is horrid and i'd like to be rid of them permanently. I've ditched them on my 6er and the ride is is vastly better even on upsized 20" rims.

Its been discussed a lot i know but whos running non RFTs and what's your experiences?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Run flats....again

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:46 pm

I have run flats for winter and summer, and have had two punctures repaired with no problem or argument. Summer are Bridgestone and winter are Pirelli. The winters are 19” also have a little more give in the sidewall.

Also have runflats on our 2018 F46 Gran Tourer LCI

I don’t have any issues with them, but then the X6 is built as a sportier car, doesn’t have air suspension and does have a firm ride. The F46 rides extremely well on them.

I’m probably going to need a new set for the X6 this year and may try the Continental tyres which were listed for 20” rims. If not then I’ll refit Bridgestone as the have lasted longer than the Dunlop’s it came with.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:32 pm

I've never (knowingly) driven an E71 or E70 shod with regular tyres hence my post enquiring who may have converted to them.
My E63 is undeniably better and has sharper handling on non run flats ime. I accept they're very different vehicles, height and weight most obviously but I'd wager the E71 would ride nicer and jarr less on our disintegrating roads on more compliant tyres.
I was pondering why BMW even make a space saver for these cars when equipped with RFTs in the first place. The car even has a location for one. Again my E63 built with RFTs wasn't equipped nor offered with a space saver, nor is there anywhere intended for it in the boot.
Does this imply that perhaps in other markets regular tyres are offered on the E71/70?
The transfer box is reportedly sensitive to tyre choice but I'm struggling to believe that the same tyres in RFT and non offered by Dunlop and Bridgestone for example are different in any way other than sidewall stiffness, which is what I'd like to change 8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm

A good few of the local older e70's I see have ditched the runflats and are running cheap tyres instead , I had a set of 21's on with runflats and they were no where near as bad as I thought they would be think the tyres were dunlops but the the tyres were worn out so opted for cheap ordinary tyres of ebay as runflats are a silly price in 21's . :D

Waka

Post by Waka » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:52 pm

Just to add to the above comments,I don't have a problem with the ride on my 20" runflats.I've also had a puncture repaired in one of them.

I've just bought another set of runflats, partly because youcan't get * rated non-runfats and I'm not risking my warranty.

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Can you not get Bridgestone Turanzas which are non rft and have * rating?