Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EU Copyright Directive - Article 13. What will it do to the Forum?

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

EU Copyright Directive - Article 13. What will it do to the Forum?

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:28 am

Morning All,

I’ve note seen anything on this Forum so fat, however it seems that an increasing number of Forums could well be affected by the post entail impact of the EU Copyright Directive - the so called Article 13 - which places the onus on Forum Owners to have licences in place for any material uploaded to that Forum.

From what I am reading, those licences would have to cover the Oweners for anything that is (or might be) subject to copyright, or pay a lot of money for filters to catch all copyrighted material.

I’m not sure if it’s being over-blown by those against the regulations (Youtube seemed to go OTT about it a few weeks back) or wether there is an incoming issue? How is this going to affect us? This of course assumes the legislation passes. It doesn’t seem to read nicely at all! :(

Does it mean uploads will have to be blocked, or filters that prevent more than very small quotes to other sites?

pvr/AW8 - what are you seeing this could do to the Forum (if anything)

More information here:

https://juliareda.eu/2019/02/eu-copyright-final-text/
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: EU Copyright Directive - Article 13. What will it do to the Forum?

Post by graemeX5 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi

My question in respect of this this is would this still apply after Brexit, at whatever date that occurs, as we would no longer be part of the EU ?

Graeme

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: EU Copyright Directive - Article 13. What will it do to the Forum?

Post by X5Sport » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:54 pm

The plan was (unless the current shenanigans in Westminster gets sillier) that the UK would adopt all EU legislation in force on Brexit Day, so my guess is that we will very likely be bound by the legislation even if we have to create our own Act of Parliament or Statutory Instrument.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.