Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre opinions - I'm going on a roadtrip

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Tyre opinions - I'm going on a roadtrip

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:16 am

Later this year, Wor Lass & I are going to Italy in the X3. When I bought the car it already had conventional tyres (Pirelli P7 *marked) fitted. Normally this would be fine by me because I think runflats are pretty pointless when a lot of tyre places won't repair punctures in them - particularly after they've been driven on. :roll: :roll:

As a rule, I carry one of my winter wheels, a bottle jack, jack pad, breaker bar + socket & wheel chock in the boot. However, for the 2-and-a-bit week Italy trip I'm fairly certain that I'm going to need to free-up boot space for all the stuff WL insists on taking along on holiday - even after I coerce her into "downsizing" at least twice before I attempt to load the car.

Bearing in mind that I feel the P7s are not much more than an adequate tyre and when they do need to be replaced I would rather go for another make (which would probably mean non-runflat again, and not *marked, because the only option I've seen in 225/60x17 runflats is the Dunlop), do you think I should;-
1) Buy a set of runflats and be prepared to get robbed if I get a puncture while out of the UK
2) Stick with the conventional tyres and take a couple of cans of Tyre Weld and my 12v pump along for the ride. I know a lot of people say Tyre Weld renders the tyre unrepairable, but at least non-runflats are cheaper to replace.
(a very tongue-in-cheek 3) Leave the wife at home
4) Do you have any other suggestions.

TIA
Stuart
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Tyre opinions - I'm going on a roadtrip

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I have a plug set very cheap and do the job for a in tread puncture if it's side wall it's done with.
Only used the plug once when i picked up a screw in a front tyre.
I found the offending screw pulled it out banged a plug in and away i went and it went bald before it ever went down again.
£10 i think i paid for what looked like a better kit but you can get them for less.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:40 pm

+1 on Allan’s reply, been very impressed with the plug solution. My nail was right on the edge and tyre places wouldn’t repair. Lasted a long time ad wold certainly get you to a tyre shop. Really easy to use. BTW I had tyre weld in the tyre, still went down.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Alan Gunn wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:36 pmI have a plug set very cheap and do the job
henrym3 wrote:+1 on Allan’s reply, been very impressed with the plug solution
Wowzer! :-o I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks lads :thumbsup: I'm all over that!
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm

This is like the kit i got but loads to chose from.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/femor-Puncture ... 137&sr=8-5