Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

coding software

General car related chat
mr angry

coding software

Post by mr angry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:47 pm

I have had search for info on the various software options available for coding BMWs without much success.

I have a 2010 40d X5 and I will be replacing an injector, resetting the transfer box after a fluid change, replacing the front nearside door lock actuator and wiring in a swivel towbar. I assume all of these items (possibly not the door lock) will need coded to the vehicle and looking at doing it myself. The problem is, which to go for?

Carly - Buy a dongle (£70) and an annual subscription for software (£60?)

Bimmercode - Cant find out much about this but seems similar, buy a dongle and buy software outright. Doesnt seem to cover the E70 though...I think? Price unknown?

INPA - Buy a wired dongle and software - price unknown?

Can I ask what peoples thoughts are on this quandry?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: coding software

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm

INPA is the BMW OEM software and the most complex of the options. You need to current ‘library’ as far as I know to make sure you have the right in car drivers. You may need ISTA as well. It is also the tool that you can do the most ‘damage’ with including the possibility to brick a module if you get it wrong. You are also on your own in terms of official support - plenty of web help around though. You need a laptop with the right OS and some sort of wired adapter. I did get a version some years back but it was a pain (at that time) getting the very large data library via a slow band link. That may have improved a lot recently though.

I use Carly across all three of our BMWs (E46/E71/F46), and whilst it is not as comprehensive as INPA/ISTA it is easy to use, gives feedback and reporting to Carly so you can get support if you need it. The ‘full’ version offers greater tools and covers all that I have needed to date. It only recently went to annual subscription, probably because they now make versions for other manufacturers too.

It correctly allowed me to identify a brake system warning light on the E46 (failed ABS pressure control valve) and more recently a glowplug issue on the E71 (failed No6 plug) and coded a new battery.

I use the IOS WiFi dongle and an iPad.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mr angry

Re: coding software

Post by mr angry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks for that. I have just ordered the carly dongle and will download the software when it arrives