Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

dash code

General car related chat
Loperamide

dash code

Post by Loperamide » Sun May 05, 2019 1:46 pm

Over the past few weeks when I go to start the car it asks for a code on the dash. It has started to do this more and more frequently. I know what the code is but why could it be doing this?

It starts fine in the mornings, and the code only comes up usually after 2nd attempted start later in the day.

marti

Re: dash code

Post by marti » Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Model??

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm

2003 4.4i

I dont know why my sig is not working?

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm

Checked battery voltage and before starting the car it showed 11.6 volts at position 1, and then dropped to 11.3 volts when turned to position 2.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 05, 2019 7:56 pm

That’s about 1 volt too low. It should be above 12V, and nearer 12.6 on a fully charged battery.

On my E53 the only time I saw ‘Code’ was for a one time locking pin (4 digit) code that you could choose on the head unit. You set the code before leaving the car and had to re-enter the same code in order to get it to start when you came back. It only used the code once and needing setting each time. If it wasn’t set then no message appeared.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 pm

ok, so just had the charging system tested at a Halfords. The battery is apparently fine, but on their computer it said there is 'Excessive Ripple'. Anyone know what that means?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 06, 2019 9:23 pm

Possibly the Regulator or Diode Pack. Instead of the alternator giving a near pure DC output it’s producing a partial AC output (that’s the ripple) and the battery won’t charge properly, nor will the electronics like it if it get too extreme.

The Diode pack converts the AC that the alternator itself generates and converts it to DC. The regulator controls the voltage & current levels. Some alternators do it all in one ‘block’.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue May 07, 2019 12:02 pm

The diodes can be replaced if you know where to look for parts for the alternator,
The alternator is expensive to buy even 2nd hand/or rebuilt.
It is also watercooledand sits at the front of the engine.
Pelican parts do a good diy replace guide.

When mine seized up I was fortunate to get a manufacture recond unit. Cost me £200 even as a
second hand unused item.(ebay)

Lez