Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X4 alloy problems - possible corrosion? - advices

General car related chat
woodentom

X4 alloy problems - possible corrosion? - advices

Post by woodentom » Wed May 22, 2019 10:33 am

hello

i have 2015 X4 and i am concerned with the discolouration and marks appearing on all my alloys

i spoke to a local garage and they said it looks like corrosion and it is a BMW warranty issue potentially. As the vehicle is over 3 yrs old and the fact the local BMW garage has never been helpful then i don't think my chances of getting 4 new alloys will be good.

they also said i should go onto a forum as other vehicles may have been affected
IMG_3039.jpg
IMG_3039.jpg (197.38 KiB) Viewed 13400 times
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg (205.6 KiB) Viewed 13400 times
IMG_3037.jpg
IMG_3037.jpg (185.35 KiB) Viewed 13400 times
IMG_3036.jpg
IMG_3036.jpg (193.99 KiB) Viewed 13400 times
please can you have a look at the images and any advices are appreciated.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: X4 alloy problems - possible corrosion? - advices

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Cars of 2-years or less are getting replacements but beyond that it would be goodwill only.

Very common issue across most manufacturers and down to using water based lacquers (as required by environmental regs) which cannot cope with either salts or any kind of cracking of that layer, or of harsh cleaning chemicals.

Diamond cut wheels are the worst of the lot for some reason, probably no paint layer just lacquer.

Many folks with cars beyond ‘goodwill’ just get the entire wheel powder coated and give up on the diamond cut facing. Not the best offer I know, but it seems to be the fix that works.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

woodentom

Post by woodentom » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 pm

I was told to take my car to the local garage JCT600 and they would take photos and videos and send to BMW.

After 9 days of chasing, turns out they never sent the footage and JCT claim the corrosion is due to extensive to the alloy so no one will pay.

They haven’t even asked bmw

JCT were shocking in their service but doesn’t look like I will get any further

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:37 am

Those wheels are dire for any age of vehicle. Corrosion like that around the centre's isn't due to damage but just poor finishing by the wheel makers.

If they were on my car i'd be on to BMW directly with images and ask what they plan to do to rectify the situation.

Shameful this continues and is seemingly ignored by some dealers.