Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

water leak SOLVED

General car related chat
Loperamide

water leak SOLVED

Post by Loperamide » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:59 pm

Passenger side (UK) floor mat getting water on it via wet glove box.

What could be the cause?

2003 X5 4.4i
Last edited by Loperamide on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepyfolk

Re: water leak

Post by sleepyfolk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:21 am

You say the glovebox is wet so the 2 places I’d check are - If you’ve got a sunroof, one of the front sunroof drains runs across the headlining, down through the pillar by the windscreen by the airbag, you can check by pouring a bit of water down the sunroof drain and looking to see if it dribbles out under the car or by your glovebox.

Also check the scuttle area under the windscreen from the bonnet area, lift the bonnet and check around the sealed electrical boxes for leaves stopping the water flowing out through the drain holes, if it builds up and puddles it can seep in through the rubber grommets where the cables pass through into the cabin area.

If you take the glovebox out which is not too difficult you’ll be able to get a much better view of things.

If the carpets are proper soaked, the only real way to dry them out properly is to take the sill trim off and lift the carpet, then squeeze as much out and use a wet vac to get as much out as you can, then I left a fan heater in there with the carpet propped up to dry it out - it took ages!

Loperamide

Re: water leak SOLVED

Post by Loperamide » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:42 pm

So i fixed the leak. The rubber pipe came off of the sunroof drain above the headliner so i glued it back on to prevent it coming off again in future :)

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:27 am

Good news, hope the carpets aren’t too soggy!

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 am

I left the car heater on full heat and speed blowing towards the footwell for a few hours. Dried fine.