Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anybody bought the new X5 ?

General car related chat
sid10

Anybody bought the new X5 ?

Post by sid10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 pm

Trying to get back into the fold with a new X5 , test drove one today 30d M sport , 22" wheels , M sport plus package , skyroof thingy ! 70k + as tested .

Omg they have cocked it up big style , suspension was adaptive , air , wife felt sick , car rolls in corners , seems unsettled at any speed , false engine noise , real noise sounds like a tractor . I felt the acc pedal and brake pedal were too high causing my leg & foot to go to sleep , It was a real shock as I wanted to really like the car & place an order but maybe it is just me ?
Positives =
Everything was beautifully finished , new screens are amazing , roof fab but , the lighting on the mood lighting only works at night so lots of plastic on show with very dim accents , the tech is greatly improved but it will take a month with the expert in the car to get to figure out how to use all of it .
On the whole my E53 2004 car was much more planted , sporty , better noise , the new car seems to be trying to be a Range Rover something the salesman admitted when I gave them it back , he recommended trying a 50d .
What does anyone else think ?
Does the F15 drive better or am I having to go down the Xc90 , Cayenne route ?

Wayfarer

Re: Anybody bought the new X5 ?

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:12 am

I had a well spec'd new one loaned to me overnight whilst waiting for a spare part for mine (f15 40d) and the only criticism I could come up with was the sheer size of it, particularly the width and on its 22" wheels and kerbs on the not so wide roads around north east Manchester.
Drove it for around 90 miles and apart from width and the semi autonomous cruise control that tries to stop you changing lanes unless you indicate, although suspect you can turn it off somewhere. The car drove and handled very well, on everything from motorway, city streets to fast anes in the peak district, and really it was only the width that concerned me.

Good luck in your quest to find a new car

sid10

Post by sid10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:14 am

Hi thanks , was it a 30d ?
Seems like the 50d has the air suspension deleted unless you opt for the 7 seat version .
Looking on various forums last night looks like a few people have the same reaction as the wife a motion sickness brought on by the car , I can only put it down to the air suspension as she has never got it before , road noise was another concern along with the pedal angle .
I am going to try the 50d first then , Xc90 or Cayenne as the 50d is nearly the same price as a well spec Cayenne .

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:32 am

It was a 30d, with a lot of options including what I think was auto adjustable ride height, it certainly handled better and was much better inside than the new Range Rover Sport I had for a month in October.