Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

'Replica' wheels

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

'Replica' wheels

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm aware of the winter tyres thread and realise that this in part is on that subject, first though is whether the once widespread stigma applied to many things of Chinese manufacture should still apply.

I already have a set of 19" genuine BMW X6 square set up wheels in my garage, type 257 fwiw. These I see as purely functional as they're not exactly pretty and need a refurb to satisfy my OCD levels of fussiness. They're due to be Teflon black coated like the summer set, and once done will have brand new Vredestein Wintracs fitted which are also 'in stock'. Overall this set up will have cost me just under £1000 to assemble.

This was a firm choice and decision until i noticed a set of new type 468 staggered wheels with new winter rubber on offer for £1200. The wheels are Chinese made by Legeartis, tyres are Tracmax S220 also of Chinese origins.

Setting aside the possible copyright issue, BMW wheels bend, crack and deteriorate if you stare hard at them, so how bad can a replica be, which i believe is TUV rated like the originals? Tyres are obviously wider on type 468 wheels, and match the summer set up for looks and the vehicles stance. Skinny tyres for snow are better but in the real world i dont need snow grip, I'm not likely to challenge mother nature full on and now retired don't need to commute five days a week, but better wet grip in cold temperatures wouldn't be a bad thing, so wider tyres are arguably better in that scenario.

Clearly i'm torn on my course now and would welcome feedback from rep wheel users. Anyone with experience of Tracmax tyres would be good too. I should add that the offer is from a German vendor which hopefully means the tyres have some endorsements, it being law there of course to switch to winter rubber.

So, stay with what I have planned or be a bit of a tart and go for looks as well as safety In a few months time?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 'Replica' wheels

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Many years back there were issues with lookalikes cracking and they got a very bad rep for a while. Whether that is still a problem I don’t know, but the weight rating of the wheels used to be the issue and why they cracked (too light!) I can’t remember any recent issue of failed look-a-likes. I think wheels meeting the specs have to be E marked, but that might just apply to the tyres on them. Germany are very hot in getting this sort of thing right, so they sound legit.

You will need to declare them as a ‘mod’ on your car - which isn’t usually an issue these days but not doing it can leave you with a big bill in the event of an incident. Someone on the Forum reported an issue recently where a family member changed the wheels and window (legal) tint and had a whoopsie. The insurer paid the 3rd party bill but refused the bill on the insured vehicle because it wasn’t declared.

If you have a BMW Warranty then they won’t cover the transmission without OEM wheels and approved tyres.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks for your comments.

I think you have said yourself that BMW * rated winter tyres are hard to come by in 20" variants. I believe even Pirelli are no longer offering the 315 rears and were also very expensive.

My approach is simply to have four matching tread tyres to comply with BMWs requirements/suggestions. Non run flats are not mandatory according to my main dealer so i favour Vredesteins for winter use.

At this time i'm waiting on confirmation of TUV status for the Chinese wheels. If that's not forthcoming I'll simply stay with the official 19" square set up in readiness. Unless we get some snow this winter though i suspect they will stay warm and dry where they are right now.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am

Well it seems these replica wheels are not TUV endorsed but are JWL-VIA marked. I've seen JWL on numerous alloys in the past so finally i googled it.

Interesting reading and reassuring these aren't nasty dangerous knock offs.

https://www.jwtc.jp/open/html/e/situmon1.html

I think more of us may consider this option, especially with the poor quality finish on OE BMW products at massively more cost.

:roll: :wink:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:25 pm

20” tyres no problem but 19” staggered are nigh on impossible. Fronts are available (at the right time of year) just not the 19” rear. Square setups are no issue - and that is all BMW now use at all sizes it seems.

If they are RFT then they are expensive, but it’s a BMW. Audi, Merc etc are just the same. You can get non-RFT cheaper, even ‘*’ marked ones.

Glad that your checks are reassuring :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Should it be of any interest this company http://www.wspitaly.com/cerchi-in-lega?lang=en offer fully tested replica wheels which actually arent much cheaper perhaps than preowned originals in some instances.

A set of BMW style 300 with new Nankang winter rubber would be £1683, fitted, balanced, delivered from the Irish distributors.

Possible food for thought, but I'm pursuing another option first, ironically from a seller located in Ireland.