Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

General wheels and tyres info, may be useful.

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

General wheels and tyres info, may be useful.

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:52 pm

In my search for offset info centre bore clarification and all manner of stuff, i happened upon these two reference charts, they may be useful to others.

E71 X6 owners know their cars rear wheels/hubs are different to the non M E70 X5 but here's the 'definitive' info.

The tyre chart below shows permissible tyre sizes on a given rim width, minimum to maximum obviously. Based on this suggestion BMW are actually pushing the boundaries with the use of 315 rears on 11" rims!

The tyre chart suggests 275/40s could be run all round for a pseudo square set up. More to think about for winter tyres :x

sid10

Re: General wheels and tyres info, may be useful.

Post by sid10 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi I always thought the hub size was 74.1 on the X5 E70 and 74.1 front 72.6 rear on the X6 E71 ?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 am

It is, that's what that chart shows too. I assume it's been simplified to 74 & 72.5. 74.1 & 72.6 is very precise.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm loathe to start yet another thread on winter tyres so adding this potentially very useful information here.

I emailed Continental tyres in the UK with a simple question.
Subject: TS860 S  SSR Run Flat Winter Tyres .

Question: Can you advise the circumferences of these tyres in sizes 275/40/20 & 315/35/20
I would like to use them on an E71 X6.

Their answer is just what i was hoping for :D

Hello Mr.$%&£@@#+

Based on ETRTO figures I can confirm that the rolling circumference of both these tyres is 2220m/m with a tolerance of

+1.5% and -2.5%.

Best Regards

,€€£=% $^+×@@*(
Administrator Technical Services

Direct Line:           +44 (0)1788 566 240
E-Mail:                   administrator.technical@conti.de
Web:                       http:// www.continental-tyres.co.uk

So RoF to placate BMW albeit not * rated but more than good enough for me. I would prefer non Run flats but that's another area altogether.

And a footnote.

I have checked our database and can confirm that both of these tyres have a new tread depth of between 8.0 – 8.2m/m deep.

I hope that this helps you.