Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Screen upgrades E70/71

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Screen upgrades E70/71

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:46 pm

I seem to be busy here lately :D

I was sure I had read reviews on this modification here but can't find any.

I'm considering one of the nav/display upgrades from China, the more modern screen is appealing.

In fact I'm only tempted by the screen itself I don't really need all the other features some have. If anyone here has done this would you share your experiences please.

Churchfield

Re: Screen upgrades E70/71

Post by Churchfield » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Did you end up pulling the trigger on this?

I have had one in the past in an old SLK. I was impressed with the look and feel, being able to run Spotify etc. The only downside was the audio output wasn't great. I have seen lots of forum posts where people manage to work round this though.

I will be getting one soon, I just can't decide whether to prioritise a remap or a new headunit!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Not committed yet. Screens only are not possible.

I found a UK seller claiming their stuff is vastly superior to Chinese kit but getting on for £1k requires thought. Lost the link in the meantime anyway :?

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:24 am

For anyone interested, i found the link again.

https://www.adcbmw.uk/product/id6-nav-m ... droid-8-1/

I confess the fresh look is very tempting, but with the black screen upgrade, £700+ is a big bite of cash

Theyre a very bold self proclaiming business. Confidence is good arrogance not so much :?

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Worth a look in buy and sell as someone was selling a used one in the last 12 months.
slightly off topic but I decided after my X3 ( MK4 satnav OEM unit ) that I wouldn't ever buy a car fitted with an OEM headunit, as they always seem antiquated and very expensive to keep up to date.
Bought a Kia Sorento with a standard double din unit and upgraded it for a Kenwood DX unit with NAV ( free map upgrades ) Apple and android car play, SD, DVD, CD, IPod, USB, DAB. Touch screen, instant boot up.
Trouble is lots of cars have integrated systems used via the head units, so it's not possible to fit decent after market headunits, only win CE Android units..
But saying that, whoever has fitted these units that you posted a link to, raved about the usability.
I can't seem to work the forum these days to drag up previous posts. Sure someone will be able to resurrect the information.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:32 am

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:22 am

There are incompatibilities here I'm afraid.