Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre pressures when towing

General car related chat
Wayfarer

Tyre pressures when towing

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi looking for a bit of guidance on tyre pressures when towing a caravan, nose weight around 80 to 90kg. And typically an 1900kg caravan.
Car is an f15 40d Msport with 21 inch wheels, currently use fully loaded tyre pressures as shown on door panel for the tyre wheel combination when towing

The car generally has two adults and one 40kg dog) towing or solo) and I then reduce the tyre pressures to the part loaded pressures on the door panel.

However just want to see what other owners do as it's a lot of hassle to inflate and deflate the tyres Reset the tpms everytime you stop or start towing.

Thanks in cadiz ce

gmc15

Re: Tyre pressures when towing

Post by gmc15 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:24 pm

I leave the tyre pressures set for part load and don't change them for towing or solo. My van is 2000kg and I run a nose weight of about 140kg. Never had any problems. It's a lot of chew to inflate and deflate the tyres when towing or solo. We are 2 adults and a 25kg dog most of the time. :)

Jayx5

Post by Jayx5 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:34 pm

I leave mine at the fully loaded pressure from the first outing in the spring until the last outing in the autumn.
We only do about 4-5 thousand miles a year, including towing so I don't worry to much.

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Thanks for the info, I have not tried the part load pressures for towing apart from one short low speed 5 mile tow, but have left the full load pressures in them between tows and find the ride a little firm.
So maybe I should try leaving the fronts at just over semi loaded pressures and the rears at close to fully loaded pressure and keep an eye on wear etc, reckon I’ll do about 12k miles a year, but want to replace tyres as infrequently as possible, given the somewhat high cost of 21” tyres.

Might even look out for a set of 20” wheels