Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cleaning EGR

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Cleaning EGR

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:58 pm

My F25 had 2 stored codes, both EGR-related. The car is about to click-over 87k miles and I've owned it for the last 15k. I'm the third owner. So;- no AUC cover and I took the risk not to buy an aftermarket warranty. I'm not bleating about that, I knew exactly what I could be potentially be letting myself in for. That isn't for debate here, I've just included it for context. The first day I had the car, I noticed the "NO ADDITIVES" script on the fuel filler cap - so I didn't carry-over my regular use of Millers from my previous E46 330d, although several times recently I have been tempted to start that again. I never use anything other than premium-brand fuel - mostly Esso, sometimes Shell.

My question here is:- Even if putting a bottle of proprietary EGR/VGT cleaner in a tank of diesel doesn't clean the EGR/stop it throwing errors, will it really do the engine harm?

......... And the reason for the question is that I will always take the line of least resistance. An additive is less bother than taking the EGR off and cleaning it out with an aerosol - and cheaper than buying a new valve (either or both of which I realise I will have to resort to sooner rather than later). Which brings another question. Does a replacement EGR on an N57 have to be coded-in?

TIA
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Cleaning EGR

Post by X5Sport » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:19 pm

I use BMWs own Diesel additive that can still be used with no issues regardless of the sign on the filler cap. To be honest with the amount used - 100ml per 50 litres - it isn’t going to make that much difference overall anyway.

Part number: 83 19 2 296 922

I use it on all of three of mine.

Can be got from Cotswolds via the bay for about £10. Never thrown up any errors and is fine for all models (just checked on Realoem)

The petrol equivalent is 83 192 183 738 should anyone care :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:19 am

I use Millar's diesel additive on my x5 e70 sd without issue.
You are going to have to take the egr off though as it will be gummed up badly I suspect and nothing you put in the tank will shift that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:00 am

Leslie wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:19 amYou are going to have to take the egr off though as it will be gummed up badly
I suspect you're right, but as said - line of least resistance first.

Thank you both. :thumbsup:
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:00 am

StuBeeDoo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:58 pm...................I take the line of least resistance................
After some cleaner in the tank, and a couple of blasts on the A1, if I get any more errors I'm going to get Diesel Doctor to do a Terraclean.

Even if I don't get the errors, I will definitely get the Terraclean before our European roadtrip in July. By then the car will have over 90k miles behind it.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Today I added a bottle of Forte Diesel Turbo Cleaner to about 1/3 tank of Esso fuel. Then I drove for about half an hour on the A19 using no higher than 6th gear (2500rpm/70mph) before filling the tank with more Esso.

Starting with the next fill I'll be using Millers Diesel Power EcoMax.

Pablo68

Post by Pablo68 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:54 am

You should try to stick with using the Forte products, they are leagues ahead of either Terraclean or Millers for both quality and effectiveness.
If the EGR is just gummed up then there are things that may help but if it’s chocked solid with carbon then it needs to come off to be either mechanically cleaned or replaced.
2019 X1 120D XDrive
2012 X6 40D XDrive

GarageSteve

Post by GarageSteve » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:56 pm

I have had good results with Kudos products