Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nuts!

General car related chat
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nuts!

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Curses and rude words!! My X6 failed its MOT this afternoon much to my horror! :cry:

It appears that a pothole or similar has damaged a tyre. There’s a very slight bulge in a rear sidewall. Easy to fix, but because of the wear on the rest it means a whole new set is required. Now it’s been marked I can see and feel it but I had missed it on the walk-around pre-MOT I usually do and there is no scuff on the sidewall either as a clue to it being there. The bulge is only about 2mm but that’s enough to fail it (quite rightly).

Looks to be around £800 for a new set of Conti Motorsport 5. :x

Ho hum, and just before Xmas too.

.........and I need a new Winter set as well :cry: :cry:
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Nuts!

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:38 am

I feel your pain. :(

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Just buy the winters and leave the summer's till spring :thumbsup:

marti

Post by marti » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Had the same on my X6 in October bulge in rear O/S...continental, chap said happens often on larger tyres.....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Leslie wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:16 pm Just buy the winters and leave the summer's till spring :thumbsup:
I would if I could get the right size for the staggered 19” rears. No ‘*’ marked option from anyone. BMW have now told me that I can use non ‘*’ or MOE marked (the later are combined BMW & Merc approval) as long as it’s the same on both axles and they are RFT as these won’t affect the BMW Warranty. The only rears I can find at present aren’t marked in any way - Pirelli - so no issue there, but the front options are all marked including Pirelli! I can’t win :? :headbang:

The car has to be MOT’d with the same wheels or I pay all over again instead of it being free.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:09 am

Never easy is it :lol: just take it to a dealer and ask for a tyre then it's their issue !

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:47 pm

All better now - apart from my wallet that is! £900 for a full set of 20” Continental ContactSport 5 RFT now BMW ‘*’ Approved too. Price included fitting, balancing and disposal of the old tyres. Local Dealer wanted almost £100 per corner more. We have the same tyres in the E46 and they seem OK. Had Dunlop fitted at new and they lasted about 10,000 miles, maybe less. Bridgestone went on next and lasted well, far better than the Dunlop so we’ll see how these do. Feel OK, and a little quieter than the Bridgestone’s but not significantly so.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:32 am

Was there not a cheaper manufacturer tyre option? It's not a race car after all - or do you have to have certain brands for warranty.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Warranty states BMW Approved parts including tyres (I did check) and even if it didn’t I never fit cheap tyres - they are all that’s between you and a collision or ditch. It got drummed into me by the Accident Investigation Officers (as they were then called) when I worked for the Police.

Same with brake parts. I think these guys had been to too many incidents where badly performing tyres were involved and wanted to make sure others understood that it might save money but could have other unforeseen consequences.