Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD scanner recommendations?

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

OBD scanner recommendations?

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:16 am

I think I should invest in an OBD scanner. I don't need one right now, but with 2 7+ year old cars in our household, it's only a matter of time. :roll:

The ideal scanner will be BMW and Citroen compatible (obviously they don't come in that specific configuration but it needs to be capable of being configured for multiple manufacturers and I realise there will likely be extra cost involved), and I'm looking for the hardwired type, not Bluetooth or WiFi, and preferably not laptop-based. When I had my E46 I bought £100+ INPA software & cable for my laptop and TBH it was pretty hopeless - over 6 years ownership it never paid for itself. :( The ones I've seen that work through a smartphone aren't an option as I don't have, or need, a suitable 'phone.

I'm not looking for cheap. I'm not a spendthrift, but I want something that is reliable and am prepared to pay for it. I'm hoping that a 2019 hand-held scanner from a reputable manufacturer is going to be more reliable than the mid-naughties kit I've had before.

Any recommendations, please??

TIA
Stuart.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

marti

Re: OBD scanner recommendations?

Post by marti » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Your better off to get specific scanners for each make I use icarsoft , one for my merc and one for the bimmers, not cheap but very good, they just plug in to the 16 pin port and are powered from the car.....

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:38 pm

I bought the Carly dongle and app but to be honest find it very limited in its capability and wouldn't recommend it. I am now looking at the INPA laptop based software as it seems to be the only useful tool on BMW. I can only imagine that the hand held scanners are similar to the Carly system which is limited.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:45 pm

I use Foxwell, find it excellent. Have a look on their site, they have a fairly comprehensive choice.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:45 am

Foxwell and icarsoft are both reasonably good and you can buy for a specific can but also pay a bit (£50/£60) extra to add a second car make to the same unit.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Alan Gunn wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:45 amFoxwell and icarsoft are both reasonably good and you can buy for a specific can but also pay a bit (£50/£60) extra to add a second car make to the same unit.
I have been looking at Foxwell. :thumbsup: The NT624 Pro with 2 vehicles is going to come in at approx £250. It's still pretty basic and won't do DPF-regen or code-in a new battery, for instance. I'm not sure I want to go the whole-hog and throw £450 at an all-singing-all-dancing unit, though - I mean, how often am I likely to need to force a regen, or fit a new battery??
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:20 pm

I have the icarsoft and that will do the battery and regen.
Not 100% but i thought you could add a second manufacturer to it.
Will have a look in the morning.
Edit
A quick look came up with this and i think it's the one i have but can't look at the moment.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iCarsoft-CR- ... 2392788729

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks for ^^^ that, AG. :thumbsup:

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:47 am

I use the Carly as it supports all of our BMWs (and now other manufacturers too) and it meets all my needs in terms of fault codes, servicing and coding. On the one occasion it gave an odd code (in German) that Goggle Translate gave a very odd result to I just sent the logs to Carly and within an hour I knew what to change (a pressure switch on the brakes for the E46).

You now have to pay an annual subscription for it, but at least you get updates and support. INPA would be my next choice as long as you can cope with the steep learning curve. :)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:02 pm

For the sake of continuity/finalising of the thread; I bought the icarsoft in Alan's link. I've just downloaded the BMW & Citroen files onto the unit. If/when I have any comments, I'll post them here.

Crispian

Post by Crispian » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:09 pm

I've bought the icarsoft myself after having a good experience with them on my previous cars.
A great bit of kit for the money and well worth carrying in the boot. :thumbsup: