Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Apple Car Play - Waze sound

General car related chat
pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Apple Car Play - Waze sound

Post by pvr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:46 pm

I bought the Car Play option for my M now it is a single payment rather than annual one, and all is well,

Except ... no sound coming from Waze, it shows the cameras etc fine and displays the warning but never speaks. All sound settings on Waze on the phone have been set, but nothing makes it work.

Any ideas there?

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Apple Car Play - Waze sound

Post by Horizon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 pm

Try swiping your screen on the phone whilst in navigation and selecting Audio, can't remember the option you have to tick, but it's pretty obvious whilst in there.
I had this trouble with Nav instructions in my van, and it sorted it.
It worked on Apple maps , but google maps had no audio until I carried out this procedure.
I have Apple car play in my Kia, and it's brilliant . I would recommend Spotify as well as this is like having a million pound record collection, absolutely superb.
I purposely bought a car that had a stereo that wasn't part of the cars integrated system so I could fit a double Din Kenwood DNX stereo with Apple Car Play/ android Auto / Spotify / Bluetooth Streaming / Dab Radio/ CD/ USB / Reverse Camera / Garmin Nav ( free upgrades ) superb quality sound
For less than £700
Wish I'd been a bit more savvy, because I never use the In built Nav as Apple / Google Nav is always up to date and is live traffic too, could have got the same set up less the built in nav for £300 less.!

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks Horizon,

I did the swipe on the phone and it just showed the image of "sound on" which was on, and below it says about "play sound on" and I have that on "speaker". Would you expect to see the BMW system there? It did not play through the phone either.

I don't have navigation on with Waze, was just using the BMW navigation system in the background which was showing and talking fine (on the screen projection).

Spotify is now great as it just works. Previously, I had to keep disabling bluetooth and re-enabling it for it to work and now it is just there, is absolutely great. Love that part.

I will also have to test to see if Waze works with directions at all (voice) as I have not done that yet (just wanted the speed camera warnings during my European trip last week).

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:15 pm

As I've never used Waze, i have the App but never got to use it for some reason. Google maps has recently had a good upgrade and is better than Apple maps ,as it has now got permanent and temporary speed camera warnings. Apple maps has the speed limits for each location on screen, but hasn't got your actual GPS speed, where Google maps has actual GPS cars speed. It doesn't show the roads speed limits.
Try Google, and Apple maps to see if you are getting audio,
I've found Apple go out of their way to make using other providers software, less attractive / compatable.