Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre life expectancy

General car related chat
sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Tyre life expectancy

Post by sapphireblack » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:59 pm

I thought there was a thread on this subject but couldnt find it?

Noticed my tyres, Continental SSRs where looking a bit worn so checked 'em. All are basically 5-5.50mm after 4500 miles. I checked my exact date of purchase with Camskill and was surprised to learn these start life at only 7.1mm not 8mm like most. Average life for these B grip rated tyres is apparently 10,000 or annual changes :?

Bridgestones which are C grip rated i find really hard but are around 50% or more better :x Maybe my desire has come at a price.

What do you guys get from which brand ? Perhaps those All Season Vredesteins are the way to go after all, and they're non runflats :thumbsup:

sid10

Re: Tyre life expectancy

Post by sid10 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Hi I have had most makes of tyres over the years on my now sold E53 X5 2004 30d Sport , I bought the car 16 months old with 16k on the clock changed the tyres to Michelin all round which lasted 16k , moved on to Continentals SSR runflats on X6 alloys 12k , another set of Continentals 12.5k , Bridgestone Dueler runflat 15k , Pirelli runflat 10k , Continentals 12.5k , Vredestein wintrac 4 extreme 3.5k down to 4mm on rears 6mm on fronts , Vredestein wintrac 4 extreme 4k down to 4mm rears , 6mm fronts . total 101.5 k sold with 4mm fronts 3mm rears .
The fronts always lasted better than the rears as we had a twin axle caravan done roughly 2k a year which scrubbed the inside of the rear tyres , hence why I went for runflats .

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 am

sapphireblack wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:59 pm.........and was surprised to learn these start life at only 7.1mm not 8mm like most.
I was/am under the impression that, in the case of staggered tyre sizes, part of the * marking criteria is equalising the circumference of the tyres. Would this account for the difference??

Also, over many years I've found the frequently quoted "8mm" to be an approximation. I doubt there are many people who actually check the tread depth of their brand new tyres. I don't make a habit of it but have done it a few times, with various makes of tyres, and have never had a single tyre that was bang-on 8mm. I don't recall specifics, but I have seen measurements ranging from over 8mm to less than 7mm. I remember a few years ago checking one or other of the tyre manufacturers website for specs of a certain tyre and the tread depth was listed as 7-point-something.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:11 am

Well its a lesson learned in my case. It will still take me a while to wear them out but I wasn't reckoning on a 10k life span :(

It's too long ago now but if iirc Diamaris on my E53 lasted a fair bit longer, but its probably not a good comparison with an E71.

I've been thinking since i noticed the wear, that as I'm abroad much of our summer now, i could probably just fit the expensive winter set up i created (still unused) and sell the two summer sets :roll:

Waka

Post by Waka » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Just found my order from last March
Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport 315/35R20 110W * FR NZ RUNFLAT XL 2 237.73 £ 475.45 £
Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport 275/40R20 106W XL RFT HZ * 2 175.73 £ 351.45 £

They've done about 6k since then and seem barely worn although I haven't looked that closely recently!

Osprey2

Post by Osprey2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:28 am

I have posted a thread on F25 X3 about the same issue as I am due to change. I've had (since new) Pirelli P7's RFT, but only on 18" all round and not a staggered set up. I was looking to see if an average of 16k miles per set was normal? My biggest gripe is there's still 3-5mm on them but the normal rumbling noise has started when these get low on tread.
I've ordered Michelin Primacy RFT as a change to see if there's any difference. Being an Xdrive in warranty I have to use the * marked tyres, but TBH, it has probably changed my mind on the car and we'll change next year. A full set a year is a difficult bill to have. (I'll be looking for a mint X5 Le Mans to replace the one we pxd for this)..... The best car we ever had maybe?