Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N57 30d remap opinions

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

N57 30d remap opinions

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:43 pm

I've looked at several threads regarding remaps, but I want to be a bit more specific.

Have you had your N57-engined 30d (the 254bhp/258PS spec.) remapped? If so, what is your opinion of the result? Which "stage" remap did you go for? Are you happy with the performance/economy? Was it worth the outlay?

When I bought my E46 330d, I was told by the previous owner that he had had a remap done by Angel Tuning, although he couldn't back-up his claim and when I 'phoned Angel they wouldn't confirm or deny they had ever had any dealings with the car "for data protection reasons". I was more than happy with the way that car performed, and its economy, so I shouldn't really doubt the claim I suppose.

Now I'm starting to wonder about getting my F25 done. I'm not dissatisfied with the car's performance or economy, but a bit more of both is always nice.

I wouldn't want to go "wild" in terms of power. Most of the claims I have seen are similar to the factory 35d figures. That would be ample, and I don't see it presenting problems from the transmission point-of-view.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

moggyboy

Re: N57 30d remap opinions

Post by moggyboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:42 am

I've had three BMW diesels remapped by Simon of https://www.e-maps.co.uk and very satisfied with each one.
Economy neither improved or worsened but performance and smoothness improved dramatically.
Have a look at his website.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am

After doing loads of research this week, I'm binning the idea of a remap.

I've read far too much scaremongering about generic remaps. There are very few custom mappers within a 100 mile radius of me. I don't have the time to travel further than that because it would involve at least one overnight stay.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

moggyboy

Post by moggyboy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 pm

I do fully understand your caution.
I was also cautious and a little sceptical about what the gains v risks might be when I was first considering it.
As I said I had three BMW diesels done and covered about 100k miles after the remaps with much improved performance and zero problems.
For the record Simon of https://www.e-maps.co.uk comes to your place to do the remap which has no hardware fitting involved. It's all done to the software on your car and is not generic as you describe but custom to your car.
Firstly he checks for any fault codes and then he downloads the various settings from your car to his laptop. Those are then emailed to emaps in Germany who tweak them for optimum running and performance within the safe limitations of the car's engine and drivetrain.
They then email their recommended settings back to Simon who uploads them onto your car. The whole thing takes about an hour from memory. Simon also keeps the original downloaded settings on file so that if you so choose for some reason they can be re-installed on your car.
I have no connection with Simon other than as a satisfied customer on three occasions ( X5 3.0d, 5 series 3.0d , X5 35d) so I have nothing to gain by recommending him.

I hope this helps but only you can decide.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:00 pm

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 amI don't have the time to travel further than that because it would involve at least one overnight stay.
My first perference for a live map would have been BW Chiptune, but they're a 600 mile round-trip from me. :(

StuBeeDoo wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:02 amThere are very few custom mappers within a 100 mile radius of me.
I've been told of one which I wasn't aware of. Big Fish Tuning in Stokesley, North Yorkshire. They're about 45mls/50mins from me. The price they've quoted me is actually comparable with other people's "off-the-laptop" map, plus they do before & after rolling road runs, with graphs.
An added bonus was that they replied to my e-mail within half-an-hour. A couple of other vendors never bothered responding to my e-mails and voicemails.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:42 pm

I was just about to book the car into Big Fish Tuning when I noticed I had a voicemail. It was from my local dealership, informing me of yet another EGR recall. :o

So now the car is going for the recall next week, and the remap the week after.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Just got back from Big Fish in Stokesley. Here's an image of my before & after graph.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (122.71 KiB) Viewed 2265 times

neil50

Post by neil50 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Good to see a nice improvement.

I saw your torque figures and suddenly thought they were a lot higher than mine in my 40d after remap but then noticed they were in NM and mine were in lb/ft.

Must learn to read everything :)
Current
2011 E70 40d 7 seat - remapped
Merc CLK convertible
Audi A2
Smart Car
Previous BMW
E32 - 735se, 735il
E39 - 530d touring
E61 - 525i touring, 525d touring (remapped)