Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Summer wheels back on today

General car related chat
StuBeeDoo

Summer wheels back on today

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:20 pm

YEEEEHARRRRRRR! :driving:

The winter Style 305s really need a refurb, and the Pirelli Sottozeros are a bit long-in-the-tooth (a few cracks starting to appear). I'll be looking to have a darker finish on the wheels but am undecided on tyres as yet.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Summer wheels back on today

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Never took mine off. Weather around here was never bad enough! That’s two winters in a row. I do need new rubber on them though as mine are 10 years old but the size (19” staggered 285/45R19 rear) is no longer available in a ‘*’ marked option.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:36 pm

X5Sport wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 pmNever took mine off. Weather around here was never bad enough! That’s two winters in a row.
This ^^^ is why I keep having thoughts of all-season tyres for the winter months. Here in the North East we have had just two protracted full-on winters in the last 10 years, plus a few days during "The Beast from the East" in early '18.

At the moment, it's a toss-up between Michelin CrossClimate+ or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 - which aren't *-marked or MOE - or *-marked Dunlop Winter Sport 4D. As I've posted before, with my car having a "square" set-up I'm not too worried if I go down the "non-approved" route.

Jonathan Benson's video of driving a CrossClimate+ shod Audi A3 up a snowy Alpine road here makes the tyres look ideal for British winters.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Nice work I only have one of my summer wheels at home ( I keep it in the garage as i don't have a spare ) and the other 3 are 20 mile away so will have to wait a while yet with the lockdown :driving: at least I'm saving fuel which doesn't go far in an x5 :lol: