Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Not tech savvy but want to DIY install car stereo

General car related chat
BrittanyAaron

Not tech savvy but want to DIY install car stereo

Post by BrittanyAaron » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:11 am

I just received XTRONS IN9053BL car radio for upgrading my BMW X5 E53 2000 factory, looks very slim and light. I am not so tech savvy, anything do I need to note before getting it installed?

Greydog

Re: Not tech savvy but want to DIY install car stereo

Post by Greydog » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:35 am

That will depend on what your original set up is, if you have a screen upfront already you will need a 5m extension to connect the big Quadlock radio connector in the boot to the Xtrons unit up front.
If you don't have a screen up front at the moment then it will be pretty much plug and play as they say.

Just take care removing trim bits so as not to scratch them

Enjoy

Shottaroddz

Post by Shottaroddz » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi
I had a similar query. I’ve got the basic radio and tape deck arrangement. I swapped them out for a pioneer head unit and it was a simple plug and play job. However, The large quadlock which connects to the back of the tape deck, connects into the new iso harness I bought which in turn connects to the new head unit - all good so far. The small white connector which was connected to the old radio unit now has nothing to connect into. Any ideas? I’ve looked for wiring schematics to try better understand where these cables go and what they connect to. Everything seems to work ok without it connected Into the new system but surely they must do something. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

C

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Wiring schematics can be found at newtis.info if you haven’t discovered them already.

BMW also provided a kit that enabled iPods to be connected to the Aux port on the head unit. It only played audio, no control function.

Could also have been used by an old phone kit?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.